Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete BACKUP file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mugsy116

mugsy116

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:36 AM

While doing a factory restore on a Gateway computer I chose to create a backup which was saved under C:/BACKUP. I was able to delete most of the files in this folder, however just under 10GB remain, including the backed up Windows folder. I have taken ownership on these files yet they still cannot be deleted. I get Error 0x80070570 The File directory is corrupted and unreadable. Can somebody help me get rid of this unneeded folder?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:32 AM

hi,,,, Run chkdsk and have it fix what it finds,,,,,
In order to run chkdsk in Windows Vista, you have to schedule it for the next time you start your computer. Do the following: click computer in start menu, right click on C: drive, click on properties, click on tools, click on Check Now. It will give the "Can't check disk while it is in use" and will ask if you want to schedule the check for the next time you start the computer.
I click on schedule disk check and click on OK.
then restart the pc,,,,,,,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 mugsy116

mugsy116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for your reply. I thought it may have worked, went through a full delete, however the backup folder and its windows contents still remain.

#4 mugsy116

mugsy116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

I was premature with that previous post. Upon restarting my system the files still appeared in Explorer, yet when I clicked to delete them, they disappeared to the Recycle Bin. Thanks for your direction.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

hi,,,, no worries,,,, forgot to tell you to reboot the pc :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users