Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware scanners remove spyware but spyware keeps coming bac

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:48 PM

ok. up until yesterday i used Spyware Doctor and Adaware se. (i dont think ive been keeping ad-aware up to date)

i stoped really using adaware the day that ad-aware found only 2-3 minor things while spyware doctor found over 500 infections.

anyway, my computer was fine back then.

lately my computer has been getting teh mega pop-ups. so i downloaded:
Spyware Blaster
Spybot: search and destroy
Microsoft Anti-spyware

i think these new ones worked or something bc i was getting a LOT of pop-ups. today i still got a few...but not nearly as many. (i used to get about 0 pop-ups a day with firefox)

but the proplem is: these scanners will find a problem. then when i remove it, it says "removed successfully" then when i use the scanner again the next day, it finds the spyware AGAIN !!!

EXAMPLE: yesterday ad-aware found and "removed" 13 critical infections. today it found 13 critical infections again. and "removed" them. something tells me that tomarrow, im gunna run ad-aware and its gunna find 13 infections AGAIN.
...and since it say 13 both times, i assume that these are the SAME infections.

spybot found infections again and so did microsoft and spyware doctor.

i downloaded hijack-this, but have no idea how to use it. (well, i know how to run it.) should i run it and post the scan log somewhere? bc i dont know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:41 PM

Windows ME and XP utilize a restore utility that backs up selected files automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file could be stored there as a backup file, and VirusScan will be unable to delete these files. You must disable the System Restore Utility to remove the infected files from the C:\_Restore folder.

How to disable

Another one to bookmark
Posted Image

#3 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

Oh I forgot Hijackthis tutorial and Posting you log
Posted Image

#4 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:48 AM

i will try that. i forgot about the system restore thing. i figured that they were still being hidden somewhere in the computer. that is probably why. i will do that and report back here if it works. i will run them all in safe mode too. :thumbsup:

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:58 AM

Steps:
1. Yes, please update all programs.
2. Then run them all, in safe-mode.
3. Then disable and then re-enable your system restore.
Posted Image

#6 Dodge82

Dodge82

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

Download AdAware SE
Install and Update AdAware SE, then modify the settings like below:-

1. Open Ad-Aware SE Personal and click on the Configuration (The metal gear button).
All of the items mentioned below should be checked (green checkmark). If you cannot check them off, simply skip them.
1. Under "General": Make sure every option is checked.
2. Under "Scanning": Make sure every option except "Skip files larger than:" is checked.
3. Under "Advanced": Make sure everything under "Logfile Detail Level" is checked.
4. Under "Defaults": Click "Read current settings from system"; or enter Default Homepage of "about:blank" and Default searchpage of "http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch".
5. Under "Tweak":
* Scanning Engine: Unload recognized processes & modules during scan, Run scan as background process (Low priority), Scan registry for all users instead of current user only.
* Cleaning Engine: Make sure every option is checked except for "Disable manual quarantine if auto-quarantine is selected".
* Safety Settings: Check item "Reanalyze results after scanning before displaying results lists".
* Log Files: Make sure every option is checked.
* User Interface: Check items "Use gridlines in results lists" and "Show detail tooltips in results lists".
* Misc Settings: Disable the option "Play sound at scan completion if scan locates critical objects".
2. Now you will click Proceed.
3. When you scan, click Scan now on the left side or press Start.
4. Next, select the option "Use custom scanning options" and make sure "Search for negligible risk entries" is checked.
5. Press Next to begin scanning.

FIX EVERYTHING that it finds.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users