Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop w Vista only boots into "Startup Repair" infinitely

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter16

Peter16

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:36 AM

Hello,

First of all, thanks anyone for your help. I've come here twice over the last few years and gotten awesome help both times.

My parents laptop is having a problem I can not fix.

It's running Vista, I'm not sure which version.

Unfortunately my parents arent very computer savvy, so weren't helpful as to what caused the issue.

When I turn on the laptop it boots straight in "Startup Repair" window, "Startup repair is checking your system from problems" . This is the only window. The rest of the screen is blue. No task bar or start button or anything. After it runs, a new window pops up "Microsoft windows" which says "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending more information can help Ms create solutions" Two options "send info or dont." Under the see problem details drop down it gives:

"problem event name: startup repair V2"
"auto fallover" and mentions "corrupt file" twice.

I click "dont send info" and it goes back to the startup repair. When i click the finish button, the computer turns off.

When I restart/reboot:

If I press F10, I get to "PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility" in which I ran "Hard disk self test" under the Diagnostics tab. It said everything on the hard disk was fine.

If I press F8 I get to "Advanced Boot Options"

Whether I select "repair your computer" "safe mode" "last known good configuration" "start windows normally" or "disable auto restart on system failure" all the computer does is boot back into the "startup repair window above".

So know I am stuck, in an infi loop that takes me back to startup repair that fails every time. I have the laptop at my house and do not have the Vista CD, though my parents will likely have it.

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peter16

Peter16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:24 AM

Ok I got to a login window and picked user "owner" and entered the password.

It took my to the "System Recovery Options" window. I tried to restore it to a previous point, but "no restore points have been created..."

#3 Peter16

Peter16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:31 AM

I ran the "Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool" and under status is said "Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer."

And after it finished, it rebooted into the same startup repair window with no noticeable change.

Edited by Peter16, 03 November 2009 - 01:46 AM.

#4 Peter16

Peter16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users