Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi. My name is John.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:42 PM

I'm a middle-aged retired electro-geek with an advanced degree in mathemtaics and many years spent working with electronics, as well as writing code to run it, and teaching computer science at a local university after I retired.

The word I hear more and more is "Vundo" (or "Recycler virus") whether it be from from the Internet, McAfee, or local IT pro's, and the reply is always dismal. The Internet info is limited in depth, McAfee wants $90 for a "hand job" cleaning of my machine, and the IT guy said he just surrenders immediately and re-installs everything (the most cost-effective solution).

I retired early to a disability and this is the first really good technical challenge I've seen in years.
I have a 4-disk system (2 IDE, 2 SATA) with the IDE disks each being a separate XP installation.

The biggest question I have right now is: can the virus actually install itself on a "data only" (non-bootable) disk drive?
I'd also like to know if a full-format from an infected system (IDE) disk applied to the other (IDE disk) will be clean.

I have a way to keep my system up and running by stopping "ctfmon.exe" and then deleting the "RECYCLER" directories right after start-up.

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance if you'd read this far!
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

can the virus actually install itself on a "data only" (non-bootable) disk drive

No, but you can add an infected file which can compromise it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users