Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen When Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carlherman

carlherman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

I have two computers on which I want to install XP. One is a Sony Vaio, which is currently running Ubuntu fine, but I prefer XP. Another is an IBM Thinkpad which has XP on it, but I am horribly locked out so I want to just install a fresh copy.

Basically, when trying to install XP I see the initial startup screens that display IBM's logo and the Vaio logo (depending on the computer) and then I see a black screen with a blinking white cursor. I am utterly perplexed as to why the XP install screen is not coming up.

The Thinkpad doesn't have an internal CD drive, so I have written the XP image onto an External Hard Drive (I created a 10GB partition, formatted it to FAT32, and wrote the iso image on that partition and set that partition as the active partition in Windows) and am trying to use that to install XP on both computers. Obviously, I set the external hard drive as the first thing on the boot menu. I wonder if that might be part of the problem...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

I believe you are in a catch-22.

In order for a USB-connected external drive to function...the USB drivers must be installed in Windows.

But you cannot install Windows XP onto an existing open install of XP...and if there are no USB drivers installed, the system cannot recognize USB devices.

You may want to look at some of the threads at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...nal+&aqi=g3.

And...of course...you need two valid licenses for XP to execute your plan.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it...I've not tried what you would like to do.

Louis

#3 carlherman

carlherman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for your reply! Before I was locked out of my computer, I was able to connect USB devices without any problems. Wouldn't that mean that USB drivers are installed?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

<<Before I was locked out of my computer, I was able to connect USB devices without any problems. Wouldn't that mean that USB drivers are installed?>>

Perhaps I don't understand what it is that you are trying to do.

Are you trying to clean install XP from an external drive?

Are you trying to do a repair install of XP from an external drive?

Have you ever run the USB external drive...without booting into XP first?

The USB drivers are installed as part of Windows or whatever O/S you are using. If the O/S isn't accessed, I believe those drivers are not useful, as I understand it. Drivers are specific to an O/S...they don't just belong to the hardware making up the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users