Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPartEd failded to partion my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 orlymopy

orlymopy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

I was partitioning my hard drive after i installed the newest version of Ubuntu on my computer along side of Windows xp. I was trying to give ubuntu more then the minimal required space so i could download i-tunes and try it. i started the live boot CD for ubuntu i was using the program GPartEd to decrees windows 60 GB to 50 and add that 10 to ubuntu's part. it said there was a error so i tried to save it. My computer loaded for little over 2 hours. Then i did a hard shut down.
Now all i get when i start up my computer is
Grub Loading Stage 1.5.

GRub loading, please wait...
Error 15

I use slax from a flash drive and CD and it will not boot.
i used ubuntu live CD it will boot but i can not access any of my hard drive.
i defragged my hard drive and all before i did any of this. only 30 gb was in use on windows part and defragler said 0% fragmented.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bisquit maker

bisquit maker

• Banned
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

You need a proper live CD such as Knoppix version 5.0.
You'll need to use the NTFS progs to check the hard drive.
This requires using the CLI to run the program.
Do you have enough room to create at least one primary and one logical partition?

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

...it said there was a error so i tried to save it.

I can't remember the exact error, but did it say something about bad sectors? If so, you would need a Windows CD (or something you could use to check NTFS partitions) and run chkdsk /r /f. In the state your drive is in now, it may not currently be possible to attempt this method. If this is the case, I would recommend using TestDisk to recover your partitions if it is possible to do so, then, if successful, run chkdsk.

EDIT: BartPE or UBCD4Win (an enhanced version of BartPE) are good things to use as well.

Edited by MadDawg, 03 November 2009 - 07:47 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I always use Gparted from a live Puppy cd, always gets the job done. Whenever I have boot problems I use a Supergrub disc to fix it - http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

#5 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

ok guys give me a day or to and ill let you know thanks so very much.

#6 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Thanks i looked at all your ideas. The easiest seemed to be the super grub disc. I used that to boot the windows partition. It was not corrupted (thank god). i used the supergrub to repair the windows boot. It ended up just resetting it to factory defaults but all i had to do was update it and transfer my old profile stuff into the profile i just made. But the Linux partion is unfixable with my knowledge. because i had just installed it i dont have anything on there so i would like to just reinstall to the newest ubuntu. Any one got any ideas on how to just delete that partition. It is corrupted and will not load in Gpartion.

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

EASEUS Partition Master may be able to take care of that.

#8 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

Thanks. i just used windows to take care of it.

#9 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

Alright. I would have recommended that, but I forgot the procedure (I was on Linux). I'm glad you figured it out and took care of it.

Edited by MadDawg, 14 November 2009 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users