Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple displays broken

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sthacker

sthacker

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

I have a Dell laptop with a docking station and a Gateway EV910 monitor
attached. Normally I have the laptop screen as primary and only turn on the extra monitor if I need extra space.

Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes if I just close the lid for the night, when I open it there is no display. If I turn on the secondary display I find my desktop. That's happened now and I cannot get the primary display back to my laptop.

Yes, I can, by doing a system restore to a couple of days ago, it worked fine, but I have added AVG and don't want to have to re-download. When I go to Display>Properties>Settings, and click on the Secondary icon, I get a popup window that says "Secondary Display (1600, 200), not a chance to check 'Use this device as the primary monitor' as documented in a Microsoft document I found through Help and Support. Anyone understand multiple display support who's willing to help? It sure would be appreciated.

I realize it wouldn't be a real big deal to restore and download AVG again, but I really think there is a way to do this without backing up, I just don't know where to find it.

Thanks, Stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:50 PM

Open your power options properties and change them from Portable/Laptop to Home/Office Desk, see if that will help. Sounds like when you shut your lid it is going into standby mode.

#3 sthacker

sthacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

Bud, you're a real whiz. I would not have come up with that in a million years.

I had the cable disconnected from the extra monitor as a work-around since I don't use it much. When I read your response I hooked up the monitor and turned it on, then did a restart and came up with the primary still on the laptop screen like I want it.

I'm confused as to why my original fix worked. System restore to two days ago=everything fine. Undo restore=broken again. Is the power setting saved somewhere outside Windows? Do you know if there's a tutorial that will teach me what's going on in multiple display support?

I'm happy as a hog in spit now, but sure curious too.

Thanks again,
Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users