Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Majorally infected!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 josh

josh

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi,

My computer has been hit with a serious virus! I dont know how it happened, but it has left my computer pretty much non-usable.

My laptop freezes after start-up in around two minutes in regular mode. I am able to network only in safe mode for about ten minutes before it freezes again. I am only able to log into safe mode after trying multiple times. I'm actually writing this from my work computer. The laptop is relatively new and up until yesterday, I've never had an issue with it. I was able to download and install Spybot search and destroy and ran it successfully but all it found was tracking cookies. I can't seem to run a bit defender scan either.

The operating system is Vista. I am using Bit defender security suite 2008 as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Why would you think "virus" on this? Granted, it could be a virus of some type or spyware, but I think I'd lean toward one of two things:

1. Some kind of hardware issue. Overheating comes to mind on a computer that shuts down after a few minutes. Failed memory or a failing hard drive could easily be causing this as well.

2. Windows has become corrupt, which happens all too often. A fresh installation of Windows may fix you right up. Save all your data first, of course.

You say SpyBot found nothing but tracking cookies. Go to Malwarebytes.org and download the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, install it, update it, then run a fast scan. If it picks up anything then post back with the log it saves so we can see what it found.

Personally, I'd lean toward a Windows corruption as the cause, but scanning with MBAM may prove one way or the other what is causing it.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 josh

josh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

By no means am I any type of expert, but I figured virus because I've never had any issues with the laptop before. The computer doesnt shut down, it just freezes, so i don't think its over heating. Thanks for the help, I'll try to download MBAM tonight.
Josh

#4 josh

josh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

OK, I downloaded and run MBAM, it found zero problems. So does that mean windows has become corrupt? How does this just randomly happen? And could anyone provide a good tutorial on re-installing vista?

Thanks,
Josh

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

Windows has had corruption issues pretty much its entire existence. It just happens.

As I said, it just feels like a Windows corruption to me. Start by troubleshooting some of your hardware. Check your memory first. See if you have 2 sticks of ram or just 1. If you have 2 sticks of ram installed, remove one of them and boot only on the other one. If Windows still locks up, then swap the memory sticks out and boot off the first one you took out. If everything still freezes when booting off each individual memory dimm, then your problem is most likely not memory.

Next you should physically check your hard drive. You can click START - RUN, and type cmd and press enter. This will take you to the command prompt. Type chkdsk /f at the command prompt. It will tell you the drive is locked and ask if you want to run chkdsk on the next start up. Select yes and then reboot to run chkdsk. You should also check your hard drive for physical defects. You will need to remove your hard drive and determine the manufacturer (Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate, Fujitsu, or many others). Visit the manufacturers web site and download their hard drive diagnostics software (each drive make has its own diagnostics software). I believe most of them will be downloaded as .iso files and will need to be burned as an image to a CD.

Boot into safe mode and copy all of your important data off the hard drive onto an external hard drive or usb flash drive. After you've backed up your important data, all you need to do is look in the owner's manual for your laptop for system recovery procedures and follow them. Post back any questions and I'll do what I can to answer them.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users