Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard to Monitor issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

so, I just put together a new computer, but im missing an adapter for a 4-pin molex to PCI-E so my video card is missing power.

I turned it on anyways and everything seems to work, the power switch, fans (not sure about heatsinks) and reset switch work, but my monitor doesnt recieve signal from it. I looked up my motherboard and it has an onboard GeForce 6100 video so I dont see why its not connecting. my friends say a 500W power supply isnt enough but I honestly have no idea, so I ask you. is it construction error or lack of research?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

my video card is missing power.

I turned it on anyways

Does that mean you're using the PCIe card anyway, or is it not fitted yet and the monitor out taken from the onboard video output?

Do you get a POST beep?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Disconnect the video card.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

Whilst the machine is powered up, did you move the Video connector to the On-Board one to see if that ones working?

Some PCI-E cards will not work until the extra power is connected. Most power supply units have the PCI-E power plug on their own (3x2 block - 6 pin) . Also some motherboards need to be told which video card to use in the case of on-board. Set this in the BIOS.

The power supply at 500W should be fine but depends on how many other things you have plugged in. You can get a rough guide from the Corsair Power Supply Configurator here : http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

Edited by cotesy, 02 November 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

what is a POST beep, and I turned the computer on anyways with the GPU plugged in

what do you mean

Whilst the machine is powered up, did you move the Video connector to the On-Board one to see if that ones working?

??? the cable was in the motherboard, the GPU only has white slots with a weird looking plug-in so I couldnt even put it in the mobo

EDIT: OK, so, I found an adapter inside the box that came with my video card that converted a VGA into whatever the GPU uses (its not DVI) and it just gave me a blinking "You have not connected one of the PCI cords in" error, so I now know that it works =)

Edited by sausage, 02 November 2009 - 07:32 PM.

#6 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi,

The White Plugs with the Weird slots are DVI Connections. If your monitor connects to the older BLUE connector, this is a standard VGA connector. If you monitor does not have the other 'weird' plug on it, then it does not support DVI. The way round this is to obtain a DVI to VGA adaptor which you should be able to get from a computer hardware store.

If you are getting no output on the BLUE connector, it seems your motherboard is actually trying to output on the new graphics card so you need to sort the connector or lead out to see whats happening.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

what is a POST beep...

EDIT: OK, so, I found an adapter inside the box that came with my video card that converted a VGA into whatever the GPU uses (its not DVI) and it just gave me a blinking "You have not connected one of the PCI cords in" error, so I now know that it works =)

Edit: Ah, OK, seems you probably just need the auxiliary power to the GPU then.

(When you start up the computer, it first runs the POST (Power On Self Test) and should give a single beep to indicate successful completion of the hardware tests. If there is no beep, it is not getting to complete the POST sequence, so there is a fundamental hardware problem.)

Edited by Platypus, 02 November 2009 - 07:40 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I turned the computer on anyways with the GPU plugged in

the GPU only has white slots with a weird looking plug-in so I couldnt even put it in the mobo

I don't understand, these seem to contradict.

If the PCIe video card is slotted into the motherboard but no aux power connected, it may be shutting off the video on the motherboard.

When you start up the computer, it first runs the POST (Power On Self Test) and should give a single beep to indicate successful completion of the hardware tests. If there is no beep, it is not getting to complete the POST sequence, so there is a fundamental hardware problem.

If you find the system is booting up and gives the single beep, but nothing appears on the monitor screen, there's a problem with the video operation.

This would be the case IF the pc has a speaker. Some self-Build machines no longer have speakers but a small plug-in one that most people leave out. Sausage mentions he doesnt know what the POST beeps are so guessing he's never heard them before.

Sounds like the card is being seen but the video lead is not connecting to them because its not a DVI lead.

#9 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

I dont know much right now, but my motherboard is missing the right plug in for the onboard speaker so no, I dont hear POST beeps, ill let you know if it works when I get power running

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users