Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hal.dll File Missing, XP install is not on Normal C: Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NiQue Safani

NiQue Safani

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

I have a bad system I am fixing for a customer.

The system was so clogged with viruses that I have no other option but to reinstall.

This is an HP a524x with a recovery partition. So the partition is listed as C: and I really want to avoid rewriting as I have no HP app CD.

I don't even know if that will help in the end as I am installing a Home Edition OEM I have on hand in hopes that their CD Key will pass. So if anyone knows whether or not keeping the partition is even necessary let me know, the problem will probably be fixed at that point Im guessing.

There should be no reason hal.dll is missing or corrupt, but I assume that since Windows is installed on D: that this is causing a problem.

The OS has installed textually to the point of reboot and now is ready to start GUI loading, but there is no hal.dll file.

Is there a way to change this and point the PC to D: as the main drive without having windows fully installed?

Thank You in advance.

Safani :thumbsup:

Edited by NiQue Safani, 03 November 2009 - 03:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NiQue Safani

NiQue Safani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

Wellll thanks for looking....

I was pretty sure the problem was the recovery partition being C:

Unfortunately had to delete, im running out of time. After deletion the install worked fine as expected.

Now if only I had an HP APP recovery cd

Ahhh whatever, HP APPS suck anyway...just have to convince my customer.

Safani

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:08 AM

I just looked at your topic in the "Am I Infected" forum and must say that with all the rootkits and such you had on that system, in my opinion you had no choice but to format and install. I hope your system didn't get too infected by the files you transfered to it.

I am glad you got this system working again, good luck with yours.

Edited by Stang777, 03 November 2009 - 03:08 AM.

#4 NiQue Safani

NiQue Safani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:20 AM

:flowers: You don't know how much better about the situation you just made me feel! I will feel much more confident when I talk to the customer tomorrow.

She should be very happy I happened to save her files!

:thumbsup:

Your the best man LOL

The butterfly effect strikes again at 3:19 A.M.

Back to work :trumpet:

Safani

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:07 AM

I am very happy that I made you feel better. :thumbsup:

I am sure the customer will be very happy that you did what you did if you just explain to them that all the viruses that the system had on it when you got it made it unfixable any other way and that had you managed to fix it another way, it still would never have been trustworthy again, especially for anything having to do with banking and credit card purchases online.

As a customer, I would be very upset if I took my system to someone to fix it and they discovered there were rootkits on it, and they did not format the disk and reinstall, especially when they could save my files like you did theirs. In that situation, I would consider a system returned to me without a format and reinstall, not fixed.

I hope before you put the files you saved from that system back on it, you made sure they were not infected.

Edited by Stang777, 03 November 2009 - 04:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users