Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IOBit Steals Malwarebytes' Intellectual Property

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

For a while we've been seeing IOBit logfiles posted on the forum that bear a striking resemblance to logs of another well respected diagnosis tool (Trend Micro's HijackThis). You can find a few of those here on this forum. This post is to let everyone know that it has been confirmed that their Security 360 application is using (read stealing) the database from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program. For a full explanation, with details, links and relevant info, read RubberDuckY's (Marcin Kleczinsky - owner and founder of MalwareBytes) post here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29681

That is quite simply theft. Shame on you IOBit. You're not making any friends in the security community with this.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GT500

GT500

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Colleague
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for posting this for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by GT500, 02 November 2009 - 04:30 PM.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Stuck this in one post and will continue to post where ever I can!

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10386...12.html#addcomm

Google "Iobits steals software" an hour or so ago there was little to nothing, as of two minutes ago it is being swamped! Lets hope the community buries them!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Think this has gone viral: https://twitter.com/#search?q=Malwarebytes and Results 1 - 10 of about 15,300 for IOBit steals. http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:32 AM

Holy flurping schnit!

Anyone get a screengrab? None of the Google cache links are working.

EDIT: Bing's cache is still working: http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=%22http+f...f7093a,c4461288

Edit Edit: IOBit's response: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=28954 and http://blog.iobit.com/archives/95.html

Edit Edit Edit: screencap in case the cache dies

*AmazingAndrew starts uninstalling IOBits' software.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 November 2009 - 04:49 AM.

#6 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

Um.....lol?

In all seriousness, though, their response to the claims is quite fishy, not to mention that the MBAM team made their own piece of completely harmless malware that was never sent into the wild and the definition ended up in their database mysteriously.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

Sounds a bit Cooked to me!

Edited by OldPhil, 03 November 2009 - 08:30 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

There is an updated reply by marcin today.

IOBitís Denial of Theft Unconvincing
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

How foolish of IObit. Malwarebytes certainly has a case, suppose best not to infer anything as bound to become a legal matter.

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

#10 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

I'm Removing IOBIT's ACS right now. Geeez!!!!

#11 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'm Removing IOBIT's ACS right now. Geeez!!!!

I had 2 free liscences for IOBit 360 Pro that I had won. I have removed it from both of my laptops and purchased MBAM for both. NO way am I supporting a security company that steals. We all know what they can do with access to our PCs with their software installed.

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.02 | Comodo Dome Shield |

| TysTechTalk.com |

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

An Interview between Marcin and Iobit by softpedia...
Interview with Malwarebytes
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

An Interview between Marcin and Iobit by softpedia...
Interview with Malwarebytes

I think IOBit is in deep trouble.

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.02 | Comodo Dome Shield |

| TysTechTalk.com |

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

A tiny matter but it made me laugh:

from Softpedia interview :

Malwarebytes is run by ethical people who want the security software world to be an ethical place.

MBAM uses vbAccelerator software and they should include this line in license, documentation, readme file or about dialog:

"This product includes software developed by vbAccelerator (http://vbaccelerator.com/)."

as per the license of vbAccelerator ( http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/The_Site...icy/article.asp )

But MBAM alters this line to remove the web site address in the About box, plus changes vbAccelerator to VbAccelerator. They cannot alter this line because of the vbAccelerator license.

So much for the ethics of Malwarebytes. I think they are all naked in the same tub, more or less.

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

So much for the ethics of Malwarebytes. I think they are all naked in the same tub, more or less.

Mmmmm... somehow I don't think these two actions are quite on the same level as each other. One could just as easily be an oversight as a deliberate act, whereas the other could not have been commissioned without intent and malice aforethought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users