Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Dual Video Cards

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

My current system is as follows :-

HP Pavillion a6455

AMD Phenom 64 Bit 9500 Quad Core 2.20 Ghz

3 GB DDR RAM

Unfortunately still using 32-Bit Vista Home Premium - But due to be making a dual boot system with 64-Bit Win 7 in very near future !!! - (I Can't Wait)....

Nvidia GeForce 8400 - 256 Mb

560 GB HDD

What I am wondering is whether it would be possible to run another graphics card alongside the one mentioned above.
As far as I know I have actually got one free PCI slot on my motherboard, (I cannot find my motherboard make/model at present, although the details must be available somewhere!!!).

If it is possible to hook up both of these cards to run alongside each other or with each other then I would appreciate if someone could run me through the process of getting them set up properly.

Oops, I almost forgot to mention the make/model of my other graphics card, It is a Ati Radeon X800 GTO also with 256 MB on board memory.

It would be great if I could get both of these running one way or another, not just for the possible performance increase but I also hate having things just sat around doing nothing - My brother in law bought this card by mistake some months ago and never got around to sending it back so now we are stuck with it and I know that it probably wouldn't fetch very much if we sold it so it would be nice to actually get some kind of use out of it - He can't use it because his PC hasn't got a PCI slot for some strange reason.

Anyway, I hope someone can let me know where I stand with this situation sometime in the near future.

I look forward to hearing from someone soon even if it is bad news just to tell me that it's not possible to do what I have mentioned above.

I guess I have rambled on for long enough now.

Thank You in advance to anyone who does take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

Hey buddy!

I took a look at the motherboard specs you have. That 8400 is a PCI-E card, and the other card you want to put in is also a PCI-E card(or it could be an AGP model). Your motherboard only has 1 PCI-E slot according to this, which is already taken up by the 8400. It also doesn't have an AGP slot either incase that x800 was an AGP version.

So you won't be running the both of them together. Really though you can't run an ATI card and Nvidia card together, unless; you use the Nvidia card for rendering Phsyx(all8xxx series and above NV cards can do this, and only some games utilize this) and the ATI card doing everything else.

So no, you can't. Another problem too would be the power supply you have, pre-built computers tend to have a sub standard power supply in them.

Here's two links you should check out though for your general knowledge.
SLI Using 2 nvidia cards together, you can also get Tri-sli with 3 cards running together
ATI Crossfire, their version of 'SLI'

Edit: Also, those 2 card themselves aren't that great so the performance increase wouldn't be that big.

Edited by IrishGrimReaper, 02 November 2009 - 12:54 PM.

|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users