Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arbitrary non-functioning buttons, links and windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 UrbanViking

UrbanViking

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hello there,

I recently bought a used HP Compaq 6230 and have installed Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, plus all updated drivers from the HP site. For the past week, however, I have seen some odd behaviour I never came across before on any other system.

Links and windows keep going inactive for some reason I am yet unable to determine. As I though it might had something to do with the touchpad (not using external mouse), I made sure to install the latest driver and have played around with the settings, and then back to default settings again. I also tried to disable the touchpad, however it seemed to make no difference for the symptoms I keep getting.

The inactive links and buttons appear in Internet Explorer 8 and latest Firefox, but I have seen similar behaviour on my desktop and in fullscreen mode for the VLC player. The whole window can go dead, sometimes only the links on the webpage itself, and sometimes the menu. The only workaround appears to be alt/del or the Windows button individually or in conjunction, which makes the links and buttons jump back into active mode.

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials as well as Ad-aware, and have no indications of viruses on my system.

I would be very grateful for any advice or feedback, as my somewhat nerdy mind seems unable to work its way around this one...

Thank you!

. Jensen

Edited by UrbanViking, 02 November 2009 - 12:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UrbanViking

UrbanViking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

After doing some further testing, I think I found the reason for these problem myself. I appears to be a hardware problem related to the touchpad, which is overly sensitive, responding even when touching the non-active left and right hand palm rests below the keyboard itself...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users