Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Print to Printers on Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doe22

doe22

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

I have an HP LaserJet 1320 PCL 5 and a Samsung Color Xpression CLP-610ND connected to a TRENDnet TEW-MP2U print server via USB for use over a local network. The print server is connected to the main wireless network, it does not have a wired connection. I can no longer print to either printer through wireless, even though it was working fine last week. The printers still works when connect to your computer to it via USB, but it's shared between several user so that isn't practical.

When I look at printers under Control Panel I can see them listed as 'Ready', not 'Offline', but when I send a document it says 'Error''. When I try to print to it I don't get any sort of big error message, but it won't print and when I open the printer folder next to the document name it says "Error - Printing". I can't get any further description of the error.

I assume this is an issue with the router, but can't tell why it would have suddenly failed like this.

Any suggestions on ways I can get the printers working on wireless again?

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Have you unplugged the power from the print server and plugged it back in?

Have you tried to open the print server's UI? If you enter the print server's IP address in a browser window it should pop up and ask for a user name and password.

You could just try pinging the print server's IP address as well.

Making sure the print server and the router are still talking is a good thing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Have you unplugged the power from the print server and plugged it back in?

Have you tried to open the print server's UI? If you enter the print server's IP address in a browser window it should pop up and ask for a user name and password.

You could just try pinging the print server's IP address as well.

Making sure the print server and the router are still talking is a good thing.

Thanks for your tips.

I did unplug the power and plug it back in, but that didn't work. Going to the server's UI gave me nothing and when I pinged the IP address the request timed out. I assume this means the print server and router aren't communicating. What can I do to fix this?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Try resetting it. There should be a button, if you have security set up for your wireless you'll have to reconfigure the server. You'll need to get the print server wired to the router. And then go to the UI, just enter the IP address of the server into a browser. I gave my print server a static IP address so I don't have to worry about it. Set the security up again and then unplug the wired connection and see if it connects.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Okay, after talking to TRENDnet's support for a long time I've found out that my problem is apparently that the ip addresses of my main wireless router and my print server do not match. One is in the 192.168.* range and the other is in the 172.16.* range. TRENDnet said I should call my router provider's support line to have them walk me through the process to get the two onto the same type of ip address, but I was hoping somebody here might now how to do it. If not and you think I'd be better off just calling tech support then let me know. Thanks.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Do yourself a favor, plug an Ethernet cable into the print server from your router. Right beside the power plug is a reset button, press and hold it in for a few seconds. Then run the CD that came with print server to redo the setup. It doesn't make a difference if the router gives a 172.16 or a 192.168 starting address, but they are correct that they have to be the same as your PC if you want to use the server.

If your print server doesn't get an IP address from your router it defaults to 192.168.1.100. So when you unplugged it and the wireless didn't reconnect, that's what gave you the IP problem. And keep that in mind next time you have issues =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users