Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S.M.A.R.T. Hard Disc Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JarrodP

JarrodP

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

I haven't stumbled upon my situation in my searches yet, so I was hoping someone could give me some guidance.

I was trying to unzip a .rar file when I realized I didn't have enough room on my primary hard drive to do it. I canceled the process. After that, I highlighted a bunch of stuff in a folder and CTRL X'ed it. I doubled clicked on my secondary hard drive under My Computer, opened it up and browsed through the folders until I got to my destination folder I wanted to save my files to. Next I hit CTRL V. The computer hung for a while, as I expected it would, but then I got a write error. "G://Could not write to Destination." (Or something like that.) I rebooted the computer and got the S.M.A.R.T message that my Secondary hard disc was failing and I should replace it.

It's a two year old Western Digital 500GB Hard drive (SATA) that a rarely use. I only use it to back up files off my primary hard disk and move stuff off the primary when it gets full. I tried swapping the data and power cables with my primary hard drive and the problem follows the Hard Drive.

I can load windows XP normal after the SMART Failure warning (because its off the Primary), but when I open my computer, it opens super slow, maybe 5 minutes after I click it. Then, I can't open the Hard Drive even though it's listed. It won't run disc check on bootup. I ran Western Digital's utility and it says S.M.A.R.T test failed. I ran their 2 hour test and it came up with a Code8 for a failure, not really any help.

My next step was going to be to get into the bios and try to disable SMART and see if that helps. I don't have high hopes because I think even if SMART fails, you should still be able to access the data on he disk? Right?

I'm open to any suggestions. This is a tough loss with most of our photos, taxes, music and home videos on this disk.

Thanks for any help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Well...I guess that I don't understand why you are unwilling to believe the SMART warnings.

A hard disk can fail at any time, just as anything manmade can. If a drive fails and it's covered by warranty...the logical alternative is to return it via RMA and get it replaced.

Before I attempted that, I would run the manufacturer's long/extended hard drive diagnostic on the drive. It's been awhile since I had to return a hard drive, but the diagnostic was the first thing asked for.

The only suggestion I can make...heed the warnings you've received thus far and move all data files from that drive...before doing so becomes more difficult. If that means buying a new drive, so be it.

As an addendum to that suggestion...stop using the drive until you get the data files transferred or at least attempt such transfer.

Louis

#3 JarrodP

JarrodP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

The only suggestion I can make...heed the warnings you've received thus far and move all data files from that drive...before doing so becomes more difficult.

This is what I would love to do! I can't access the files through My Computer. Do you have any suggestions for me to try in getting the data off the Hard drive. I can't access the data, so I can't copy it. That is my dilemma....

Thanks.

Edited by JarrodP, 02 November 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

That hard drive can be removed from your system, thereby minimizing the fact that you cannot boot into XP.

You can access your data files...by removing the hard drive from your system...and (temporarily) attaching it to a different system, as a secondary drive. On that system, the hard drive will just be a secondary drive/partition...hopefully, with all data files accessible.

You would probably receive an "access denied" message when attempting to move any files from My Documents/My Pictures, etc....but this is routine and overcome by the following.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#5 JarrodP

JarrodP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

...but what if the failing drive already IS my secondary hard drive? :thumbsup:

Windows boots/runs fine with the hard drive disconnected.... and even if I leave it connected and don't open "My Computer" for that matter.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by JarrodP, 02 November 2009 - 02:34 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

If it's a secondary/storage drive...and you already cannot access/move files from it...then you need to use data-recovery software to try to regain possession of your files.

There are any number of programs that purport to execute this function. Some are free, some cost...I have one which I paid for which I have confidence in.

Yesterday I saw another recommendation for TestDisk - Recoveery Software - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk, which you may want to take a look at.

Before using any program of this type...please read all instructions for using it.

Louis

#7 JarrodP

JarrodP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Thanks! I will give it a try later tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users