Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast user switch freezes mouse cursor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 greizer

greizer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

Hello all. Not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else; mods please move it if this isn't the appropriate place.

I'm using Windows Xp Home Ed w/ Service Pack 2. In the past I have succesfully used the Fast User Switch tool of Windows to quickly change between two accounts (both are Admin accs).
However, a grave and persistent problem occurred the instant I changed my old monitor to a new Acer V233H. After installing the new monitor, whenever I use Fast User Switch to
log onto my secondary account, my mouse cursor freezes and doesn't move no matter what. And even if I press the Windows key and navigate back to the primary account that way,
the problem persists. Only after resetting the comp does it disappear, but for the time being I simply cannot use FUS.

I've tried logging onto the secondary account first, and it lets me do that and the mouse doesn't freeze. However when I switch to my main acc from there, the mouse freezes again.

I have my suspicions already: with this monitor, no ordinary drivers were issued. When I click on my Display Properties, I see "Plug&Play Display"; what controls the resolution
and the settings of this new monitor is a program called Acer eDisplay Management. Which loads only on the account that is first activated, you guessed correctly.

Now, I've found an 'actual' driver for this particular monitor on the web, in case the aforementioned display control program is indeed non-compatible with Fast User Switch.
However I don't know how to go about installing it. There is a folder called "V233H_t" that contains the following files: v233h.cat, V233H.icm and V233H.inf in it.
And even if I could install this driver, I don't know if it would help in my problem (I'm not really that tech-savvy which is why I'm asking here).
So, I'm asking how do I install this driver and does it help if I do it? If not, what would help in this situation, if anything?

Thanks in advance (and afterwards also ofc),

Greizer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

Are your graphics drivers up to date.

The site where you found the driver files for the monitor
should have given instructions for installation, IMO.

First, create a restore point, if you want to test your new drivers.

Right click on the .inf file - you should have an 'install' option
on the menu. Follow the instructions, if any.

Reboot, see if there's any change.

#3 greizer

greizer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

Are your graphics drivers up to date.

The site where you found the driver files for the monitor
should have given instructions for installation, IMO.

First, create a restore point, if you want to test your new drivers.

Right click on the .inf file - you should have an 'install' option
on the menu. Follow the instructions, if any.

Reboot, see if there's any change.

Thank you, kind sir! :thumbsup: Updating my gpu drivers has indeed fixed the problem. No wonder since I last upgraded them 3 years ago.
(This is an old computer; I was going to buy a new one years ago, but over those years it has slowly occurred to me that buying
things without money can be kind of hard. Perhaps I should take better care of this comp instead. :flowers: ).
Thanks again,

Greizer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users