Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop 'beeps' loudly when starting and 'beeps' every 15 seconds after.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 olliebeagle

olliebeagle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

My laptop is Acer Aspire 1801. with 17inch screen.
Uses Windows.XP.
It started beeping intermittently and worked for about 20 minutes then powered off.
Now the power light comes on for a splitsecond only and the laptop has stopped functioning.

The machine is 3 years old with very light usage.

I would appreciate any advice to get it working again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

Welcome to BC

My guess, and this is only a guess without looking at it, is you had a bad CPU fan and it was overheating
It sounds like you might have finally toasted the CPU
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

There are usually many possible reasons for what you describe.

One is a build-up of dust internally causing quick overheat, even CPU failure as the last post suggests.
It could also be a memory failure too. It doesnt matter how much its used (you said light use) if you use it poorly.

Many with laptops use them on their beds or other soft furnishings to prevent them burning their legs as they warm up! If the vents are blocked then the machine doesnt cool properly leading eventually to a hardware failure, which is what the beeps would suggest.

Its hard to say without knowing how its used.

#4 olliebeagle

olliebeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

Welcome to BC

My guess, and this is only a guess without looking at it, is you had a bad CPU fan and it was overheating
It sounds like you might have finally toasted the CPU

3 Nov,2009. Thank you 'garmanma' for your reply.
The computer started this morning with the Power switch LED light blinking on and off all the time and the beeping noise intermittently every 15 seconds.
When the computer program XP finished firing up I then closed down in the normal manner perfectly after about five minutes from powering on to powering off.
I opened up the laptop and looked at the CPU and it did not evidence anything unusual and all the fans are working.
If you have any further advice on the malfunction it would be appreciated. Many thanks.

#5 olliebeagle

olliebeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

One is a build-up of dust internally causing quick overheat, even CPU failure as the last post suggests.
It could also be a memory failure too. It doesnt matter how much its used (you said light use) if you use it poorly.

Many with laptops use them on their beds or other soft furnishings to prevent them burning their legs as they warm up! If the vents are blocked then the machine doesnt cool properly leading eventually to a hardware failure, which is what the beeps would suggest.

3 Nov 2009.
Hi Cotesy,
Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned the dust out of the main fans and the vents including the large ones around the cpu.
Even examined the cpu and replaced it after coating fresh white compound on the heatsink, it looks OK.
The memory looks OK. I started the computer this morning and it opened up normally apart from the Power switch LED blinking and a consistent 'beep' every 15 seconds.
When Windows XP fired up I was able to close down in the normal manner not wishing to risk more serious damage by keeping it going too long and overheating.
It is used on my desk a flat wood surface so ventilation should be OK, and I noticed all fans were turning when it was on.
I would be pleased If you can offer any further observations

#6 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

3 Nov 2009.
Hi Cotesy,
Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned the dust out of the main fans and the vents including the large ones around the cpu.
Even examined the cpu and replaced it after coating fresh white compound on the heatsink, it looks OK.
The memory looks OK. I started the computer this morning and it opened up normally apart from the Power switch LED blinking and a consistent 'beep' every 15 seconds.
When Windows XP fired up I was able to close down in the normal manner not wishing to risk more serious damage by keeping it going too long and overheating.
It is used on my desk a flat wood surface so ventilation should be OK, and I noticed all fans were turning when it was on.
I would be pleased If you can offer any further observations

Hi again,

Try downloading Everest onto your machine from here - http://download.cnet.com/Everest-Ultimate-...4-10499291.html - Once run it will give you temperature readings on your taskbar whilst it remains loaded - If its looks like its getting too hot then this will confirm it.

You say the machine boots up fine, does the beep continue all this time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users