Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes after clean install

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 slash_sandman

slash_sandman

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hey guys,

Alright, so my hard disk crashed a few days back (I was running XP Pro), so I decided to install 7.

My specs are:

Motherborad: Intel 82865GBF
Graphics: On-board 256MB graphics, they are handling the aero style well.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
Ram: 3 GB
HDD: 320GB

Now, here's the problem. I installed Windows 7 and it loads up fine. Then when i'm doing anything like browsing though empty folders or opening up the control panel, the compe freezes for a few seconds, the active window says 'Not Responding' in the title bar.

I took a closer look at the Cabinet and realised that when I tell the computer to do something, the HDD light doesnt light up, then I get the Not Responding, and then 10-20 secs later, the HDD light blinks and the Not Responding window starts working.

It does this for everything I do, the HDD light has a lag of 10-15secs after which it lights up and the computer does what I had told it to do.

BTW, the Aero glass interface works great, no lags whatsoever in that respect.

Also important to know is that the HDD is completely blank, it only has Windows 7 on it, I havent installed one file or application.

So I think this is a HDD problem since it just crashed a few days back, but I can't be sure.

Ohh, last problem, My keyboard doesnt work completely (it used to with XP), in Windows 7 i couldn't press Shift or Caps Lock and some other alphabets, today morning I could press shift and Caps Lock, but those same alphabets didnt work.

The keyboard thing can either be a Keyboard problem (very unlikely) or a motherboard problem.

Please let me know guys.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

Okay, new problem.

Just restarted my computer and after the Starting Windows screen, all I get is a black screen with a mouse, and I can move the mouse around but nothing opens, and HDD light was blinking a lot at the Starting Windows screen but on the black screen, no blinking.

This reminds me of a virus my brother had on his laptop last week (running XP). His laptop was working fine and then he started it one day and after the windows screen it just goes black with a mouse pointer.

Edited by slash_sandman, 01 November 2009 - 11:22 PM.

#3 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

try booting in safe mode and see how that helps also you can get free applications to check the health of your harddrive there are so many of them just google your problem and download the one that meets your standards heres just one

http://hard.software.informer.com/download...ealth-analyzer/

#4 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

okay i didnt check this post until today...i installed vista, thinking it might be a problem with the windows 7 i had, but here also im getting the same problem, so its most likely hardware.

Motherboard, hard disk and Ram are the only possible problems right?

The system info says 3gb of ram so i dont think the rams not working, nor am I getting any beeping patterns during boot.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

Actually, a bad mouse or a bad keyboard could do the same thing.

#6 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

How about a printer or a scanner? could it also do it?

Oh, new development, restarted my comp a few times and once or twice i got this error "No Bootable Device --- Insert Boot Disk Press Any Key".

I would press restart again and it would boot up, but you can see the slow boot time if because the HDD light is not on, as soon as it comes on it's super fast.

Also, I used a couple of those freewares and they all said my drive is in a good health condition.

Edited by slash_sandman, 04 November 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

The error indicates that the hard drive is corrupt. Is there a chance on of the cables could have worked loose?

EDIT: And I think whatever tools told you that your hard drive is fine are wrong. The hardware inside the drive can fail intermittently; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

#8 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

The cable isn't loose. I checked that yesterday when I cleaned out the dirt to increase airflow.

I'm kinda hoping its the hardrive, coz those are cheap.

I doubt its the RAM. Could it be the motherboard? Or could it be that the cable connecting the hard drive is spoilt?

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

It could be the cable, but my money is on the hard drive.

#10 LarsonPC

LarsonPC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

I had a similar thing happen to one of my builds. Resetting the BIOS did the trick for me.
To reset the BIOS, when booting up, press the 'Delete' key until the BIOS comes up, then select 'Load Optimized Defaults'
then press F10 to save them and it'll restart your computer.

I'm not 100% sure if this will work for you, but it worked for me. Please report back your findings...

Edited by Larson Custom PC, 05 November 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#11 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hey, thanks for the tip, but it still didnt work.

I changed the Keyboard and Mouse and reset the BIOS but still nothing.

But, since any hardware can cause the problem, I'm using a Netgear Wireless Adapter WG111V3 on my Desktop. Is it possible that this is causing the problems?

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

The wireless driver is not initialized until the OS loads, so no, it is likely not the wireless.

#13 slash_sandman

slash_sandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:22 AM

Alright, i think I need to try a new hard disk on this.

Any other suggestions? Motherboard?

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:35 AM

Nope. Try a new hard drive.

#15 pattyboy7

pattyboy7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

You "Might" have a corrupt windows install.
Try:
1. Inserting the windows 7 disk.
2. When it loads Click on repair Computer(Small print, Bottom left)
3. answer some simple Q's and Let it do its thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users