Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista laptop will not boot into windows.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Okay, I am working on a Gateway mt6278. It boots and even before it shows the logo it presents me with options, one is a window repair mode. It does not allow me to go into. It instead reboots. It does this with every option including safe mode. Here are my issues. The Vista operating system disk it came with is broke. So I tried using the windows restore disk. I boot using DVD it loads the files and says starting windows and freezes. Well I can move the cursor around a blank screen. I figure that it might be the DVD rom drive not working correctly.

So I figure maybe I'll test Windows 7 start up with it. I don't plan an install at this point but I figure I'd test it using a USB bootable version. I just want to see it get past the first hump. It does the same thing, prepares all the files, it will show the windows logo, stalls out with a blank screen and cursor that can be moved. I can't here any drive activity at all.

What are my options at this point. Should I try to Fdisk it? Would that effect the BIOS at all? I can't put the restore disk to USB because it is a 4 gig and my flash drive is 2. I'm running out of ideas and I know there is a fix... There usually always is.

Thanks for the help.

LB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

Looks like it time to reinstall windows from the recovery partition.

Look at this BC Tutorial... Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

Thank you for your reply. This Laptop had the recovery as an option built in but everytime I tried to get into it, it would reboot. It also will not go into Safe mode. His original Vista CD is broke in half and it doesn't seem to load the restore factory settings up from the two disks that I have in the box.

The only thing I can think of is deleting the partion that Vista is on. Not the one that the recovery files are on and re installing some form of windows but how can I delete the partion without being in a normal environment? Is there a Windows Recovery conceole for Vista like there is with XP? With that option then I can get use some dos commands to either rebuild some stuff, like a default registry long enough to get into the windows environment so that I can reinstate a working reg from a time that worked or delete the partion and start from scratch.

LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users