Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 diyahnih

diyahnih

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hello everyone,
Windows 7 upgrade advisor says i need a graphic card--every thing passes except that. Need info on graphic cards.

Operating System: Windows XP Home edition 5.1.2600
motherboard Manufacturer: ECS (Elite Computer Systems) Model: 945GZ/CT-M
CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz, Memory: 2.0 GB.
220.1 GB free
WinXP Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card ---Windows 7 upgrade advisor does not have compatibility information about this device.
Current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. what type of graphic card (mb,etc) would i need for Windows 7? :huh:

Has PCI express x16 slot.

Thanks
diyahnih

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

According to Wikipedia, you need a card with:

a DirectX 9 compatible graphics processor with a Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver, Pixel shader 2.0 in hardware, and a minimum of 128 MB of Video RAM.

Your current card will work under Win7, you just won't be able to use the Aero effects. Now, since I try to just get the latest graphics cards available, I'm not good with finding cheap graphics cards, so someone else will have to recommend an affordable card that supports Aero.

Edited by MadDawg, 01 November 2009 - 10:45 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users