Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Disabled through fn key and fn key not working.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crasher12

Crasher12

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

I have a Toshiba Qosmio x300 laptop which i just did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate. The wireless was working fine until my laptop came unplugged and the battery went low disabling my wireless card to save power. In Vista i would just use the fn key and f8 to enable it. The problem is that i cant find another way to do it in windows 7. I tried downloading Toshiba's Flash card utility, it installs restarts and after that i dont see a difference, the software doesnt do much on the computer i cant even find it in the utilities folder. Anyone have and ideas or the same problem im stuck using my iphone for internet and its going to get expensive if i dont solve this soon.

Crasher12

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

Try this:
Click the wireless connection icon in the tool tray at bottom right.
Right click your wireless connection (currently disconnected, of course)
Choose status
Click the "Diagnose" button in the dialog box.

This will run a troubleshooter (please don't run away, these actually work, unlike most of the ones in XP!)
This might re-enable the card if you are lucky.

(I had similar problem with a power-saving setting to disable built-in ethernet when on battery, but the NIC card would not re-enable after being reconnected, troubleshooter fixed this)
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#3 pattyboy7

pattyboy7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:26 PM

To enable the use of your function key (Fn) I might suggest update your keyboard driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users