Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does Data Execution Prevention close explorer.exe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allexas

allexas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image

I've been receiving this error almost randomly except while playing games or browsing the internet.
It started when I installed WINAMP. I uninstalled it already but I'm still receiving the error. I googled it and found out that it was supposed to be a bad codec. I already uninstalled codecs too but it still pops up without warning.

I don't think it's a bad memory since I'm not having any problems aside from this.

CPU: Q8400 Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz
RAM: 2048MB
GPU: GeForce Nvidia GTX 260

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

DEP is a built in mechanism that closes running programs that it thinks are threats to Windows so on your system, sometimes explorer.exe appears threatening and it should not.

The explorer.exe is a pretty important piece of Windows machinery and being so fundamental, it is also a prime target for malicious software.

You can tell Windows to allow threatening programs to run by adding them to a DEP exception list, but explorer.exe should not be added as an exception. It may then run, but that is not a solution to your issue. It sounds like explorer.exe is either afflicted with malicious software or needs replacing.

Let's run some free scans for that and then fix what is left over:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Edited by joseibarra, 01 November 2009 - 09:39 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 allexas

allexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

I just did a full scan and clean in both safe mode and not. 'So far so good'
I overlooked the possibility of it being a spyware :\ Thank you for helping me out.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Good for you!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users