Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smallpaul

smallpaul

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:11 PM

a message warning of low virtual memory level came on the screen when closing down. what is it? how do i get more of it? does it cause the computer to run slow? i appear to have a lot of images in my picture search that are 'still'frames from my sons games. iare these taking up virtual memory and are they req'd? is it my sons games taking up the virtual memory?

thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:20 PM

Virtual memory is system memory that is simulated by the hard drive. When all the RAM is being used (for example if there are many programs open at the same time) the computer will swap data to the hard drive and back to give the impression that there is slightly more memory.

To increase the Virtual Memory do the following:
  • Right click My computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click the advanced tab
  • Click Settings under performance
  • Click the advanced tab.
  • Enter your intial size (which should be 150% of the actual physical RAM you got)
  • Enter your Maximum size (which should be 3 times as big as your actualy physical RAM you got)
  • Click set
  • Click Ok. On each window.
  • You may have to restart your computer

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:57 AM

Heres a useful link on virtual memory
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php