Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clueless about video cards & need 2 upgrade!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lmmom

lmmom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

I got a game for my son, and it won't play because it says I need a video card that "supports PIxelShader v1.1" So, I started looking for an upgrade, and can't tell how to tell if it would support that, and I don't wanna pay the price that the local chain wants to pick one for me and install it...
Anybody got any suggestions for good current gaming video cards? You'll make an 8-year-old,and his mommy very happy...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stephen149

stephen149

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

A good one that can run the latest games and will last you for a while is the GeForce 6600 128mb. It isnt ALOT of money. It's $150 canadian so probably around $100 american.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

a warning tho... u will need a power supply upgarde too... please tell us what kind of video card you have installed currently. and we will tell you the next big upgrade without the power supply upgrade.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 lmmom

lmmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:45 PM

Well, I'm a little confused (someone else more technologically inclined set up my pc for me) it says I have an Nvidia GeForce 4mx 420, but there's also listed underneath it, with an "X" through the little computer, SiS 300/305/630/540/730-- is that anything I should even bother with? In any case, now you know what I have already...funny, it's a Lego game that my son wants to play! (Lego Star Wars--he wants to be a Jedi when he grows up)

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

Well, Most of the time if yoour using a stock pc from dell/gateway/whoever they give you like usually a 250-300 watt power source. OF course its almost used to a bulk, but im using an ATI radeon 9800 pro with an arctic cooling heatsink/fan hooked up and my dell power source is working fine.(250 watt)

What your price range, we of course will fidny ou some very detailed guides on how to install a video card and even a power source (if you need one)

#6 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

u need to check ur mobo to to see if it is agp or pci i love ati i have had them forever so i recomend ati. You can get a good ati card for like $180 That will run counter strike at like 50 or more fps. Check these out

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=320744

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...tCode=320758-OP

good luck and be shure to check for agp or pci
Fb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 lmmom

lmmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

price range I guess would be under $150.. I did find a great page @ cnet.com describing how to install a new graphics card, so I'm set for that.. just have to pick one and buy it...

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:36 AM

your best bet would be lower mid-end grafix cards. like the Radeon 9800 pro or the GeForce FX series. all of them can be found lower than $150, off of NewEgg, Inc.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 lmmom

lmmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:53 AM

So, if I get one of those, I won't need a power upgrade, too?

#10 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:36 AM

no, you will not need to spend another $50 for another power supply if you get one of those cards. Your son can enjoy his game and you can watch DVDs alot better (if have a DVD drive). but one thing i dont understand is that same lego star wars game runs fine on the same card! either somethings gone funky with your computer, or its just your computer.

Edited by legoman786, 05 August 2005 - 11:38 AM.

- Rick Cook

#11 lmmom

lmmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Oh, really? :thumbsup: Maybe I'll try uninstalling and then reinstalling the game...see if that helps..Who knows? But thanks!

#12 lmmom

lmmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

actually, I ended up going to the game site, and apparently, I'm not the only one with this problem and they say that none of the GeForce mx cards support Pixel Shader..so, I have to get one of the cards you mentioned...but thank you anyway for all your help.

#13 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

no problem

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users