Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Vista BSOD Horror Story.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chronix3

Chronix3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

I've mentioned this on another thread (about my DVD Drive malfunctioning) but I think it's best this gets a new thread? Since, I doubt the issues are inter-related.

General Overview:
- 4 month old HP DV5-1140TX Laptop
- Contacted HP via email, phone and now trying their forums too. (to no-vail)
- BSOD Errors range from "Reference by Pointer" to "Bad Pool Header"
- 9 out of 10 boot-ups crash in a BSOD and then violently restarts (all sorts of noises, screen flickers and button flashes.)
- Running a completely updated Windows Vista 32 Bit.
- Personally - I think a company called "SoftThinks" is at fault here. They produce the Restoration tools for HP and comes bundled with HP laptops. I cannot remove them, but they appear on all sorts of logs and errors. Something about an incompatible driver for this version of windows. I'm still unable to find a fix for that, since I can't even locate this incompatible driver in the first place!

I don't know what else to mention, so if there's anything you want me to mention - please let me know.

Also where can I find the BSOD logs? I'll post it here, so the experts can have a look :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

hi,,,, hope this helps you
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/..._survival_guide
you need to also enter the bios and stop the machine from auto start after failure,,, then when you have a crash the blue screen info will be there on restart,,,,,
to find drivers in the pc there are software programs that will do this but i have never used any, so cant tell you which are good or which are just a con,,,,
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=...662ce1e81ac315b
you can also use command prompt to list all drivers and look for the one your on about,,
open up command in admin account or with admin privileges and copy and paste in this command and press enter
driverquery
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Chronix3

Chronix3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hey Figgis,
Thanks for the heads up, i'll be reading that guide soon.

I tried the driverquery - but as sooon as it finishes processing the list - the run command just shuts down :confused:
Is it meant to be like that? I can read the drivers till it processes the whole thing - but afterwards it just self-closes.
I have a window span of about 10 seconds - and its impossible to view half, let alone the full list in that time.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

hi,,,, sorry about that,,,, for a full list of drivers using command,,,,, copy and paste this command
driverquery

to save this for later reading follow this,,,,, copy and paste this command
driverquery /fo:list

open a file with note pad,,, go back to the command prompt scroll to the top right click select mark,,,, then left click top left of corner and highlight all the command,,, then press Ctrl-C and this will copy the command,,, then open the notepad and press Ctrl-v to paste it
good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users