Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horrid Noises from DVD Tray - Brand New HP Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chronix3

Chronix3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hey,

I've bought my HP DV5-1140TX about 4 months ago and ever since I've had this little creaking noise in the CD/DVD tray.

It got worse as time went by to a point, it sounded as it was about to blow up. So, I contacted HP and they asked me to send it in for repairs.

About two weeks later, I get my laptop back with a letter saying it was supposedly fixed.

It seemed so, but about another week or so later, the noises returned.

It keeps getting worse and worse. Everytime on boot-up and when a CD/DVD is inserted, the tray would make loud, sharp noises as if something is stucked inside of it. Sometimes the tray reads discs data, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it doesn't even show up on My Computer.

I've emailed HP countless times, with no response. Their techs on the phone keeps telling me to keep sending it in, but what's the point? I cannot afford to send it out for another two weeks without a definite fix.

The 'diagonsis' of the problem by HP Techs was as follows:
"Diagnosing confirm DVD drive not reading disk. Found CD drive disabled in BIOS setuped enabled drive. Drive is now working. Tested unit in DOS and Windows its working fine. Ran a series of tests passed cleaned unit ready for dispatch."

Now, I'm not fool when it comes to computers, so I've checked the BIOS again and all is enabled as expected. I don't see how disabling the drive would cause it to make weird, horrid noises and make it function on random occasions?

Also - this issue is accompanied by a PERSISTANT BSOD. 9 out of every 10 boot-ups end up in a a variety of BSODs. I could post a log if anyone wants to view it, but there's so many. I cannot find a fix for it, but my suspiscions ly with SoftThinks as being the culprit. Its name appears several times through out the logs etc. etc.

I hope someone can direct me in the direction in finding a fix for either, or preferably both these issues. Issues that shouldn't be happening on a 4 month old computer :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hmm, never heard of SoftThinks. If you are able, write down the Error and parameters. Or just uninstall it and see if they go away.

As for the CD/DVD player, I know you feel you shouldn't have to pay for it but it would be finished if you were to just replace the thing. I got a brand new one for about $50. It is held in with one screw, usually, and then there is also usually an adaptor attached to it, which you need to swap to the new one.

Sometimes, after all of the time and postage, it is easier to kiss them off and do it yourself. They can go on and on about something you might have done wrong or they don't hear the noise and you do.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

you know when I RmAd my laptop to HP they paid for all shipping. Id be tempted to just keep RMAing it until they get it right, and ask them to pay for shipping.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Chronix3

Chronix3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

@rig - I would love to do the same, but they made it clear that any modifications would null the warranty void. And I bought an extension to a 3-year warranty plan. This applies for both HP's 1 Year warranty and my retailer's extension. It doesn't seem that useful, since they can't fix the first problem that arised, but I don't want to flush that $300 or so down the toilet.

@patriot - Yes, HP does cover the shipping and everything - they even come pick it up from your house for free. However, the problem is I cannot afford to keep sending my laptop for two weeks at a time. It's critical for both my university studies and my part-time job.

Arghhh, these cooperate bleepers do get on your nerves don't they. I'm going to call HP up AGAIN. I've read somewhere that if its a fault they can't fix - a new laptop will be issue for free? I can't exactly pinpoint where I read as such, but I'm going to go look for that.
anyone heard of such "service" from HP?

Edited by The weatherman, 02 November 2009 - 07:18 AM.
Removed profanity.~Tw

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:53 AM

I see your point Chronix. Yes, it would be a waste of money not to use it. Patriot has the right idea, if you can afford it being away.

If you have another desktop, you could transfer work to and from it as necessary, while the laptop was away. You seem to be between a rock and a hard place.

When dealing with HP, always be courteous but stand up for your rights. Mention how you bought HP because of their performance, blah blah blah blah blah... :thumbsup:

Good luck.

DR

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

I understand your frustration, I would be to, and you can probably replace the drive yourself, however, just to warn you, that may void your warranty for future work, I would check the terms of it. Other options you may check, in some places there are computer stores that are certified to do HP repairs, bar that, can you borrow a friends computer or rent one? Just throwing some stuff out there. I know how hard it is to go 2 weeks without a laptop. my power cord died on me awhile back and I went 3 months without my laptop till I could afford another one (not under warranty) and there were many times I wish I had use of it, and I have another computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Chronix3

Chronix3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hmm I'll see what I can do.
I was meant to call them yesterday but never got around to, and today's a public holiday - so they might be closed.
I'm going to try nevertheless or call them tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users