Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playing PC Games Sends Fan Into Overdrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

I have a HP Pavillion a1410n refurb. Athlon 64 2.4 GHz. At least a gig of ram memory. WinXP professional.

I installed a couple of old PC games on my HP. One is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The other is Zeus: Master of Olympus. These are old-school, resource lite games from the Win95 era of gaming. When installed on my previous PCs (all Intel based), they played fine without a hitch.

When playing them on my HP Refurb, however, after a few minutes (if not immediately) one of my fans kick in and starts roaring away. You know how where you're pulling a really major download or playing an online game, and suddenly your CPU usage goes up to nearly 100% and a big fan noise starts blaring? That's what my HP sounds like when I'm playing these games. Yet the computer itself isn't freezing up or becoming unstable (not yet), nor is the machine overheating. So what's happening? My older, slower, computers never did it, and they had less RAM.

Further info: the fan only kicks in with these specific apps. Not after I first boot up, not if I leave the computer idle or run other programs. BTW, I never use this particular PC for internet, but just to be safe, I ran Malwarebytes and AVG anyway... all clear, no malware.

Could the combination of a non-Intel PC and older games written for the Intel chip be causing this? And can I safely ignore this problem, or will letting the PC roar full blast cause wear and tear?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

Amd has a technology called Cool N Quite that throttles cpu speed and fan speeds up and down to match usages to reduce power consumption and noise. My first guess would be this is what is happening. To be sure you can check in your bios for the Cool N Quite feature and turn it off. Also your motherboard can control your fan speeds in relation to CPU usage and temperature if the games are causing the CPU or GPU temperatures to rise this will also make the fans speed up.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 secret_id

secret_id

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

I have had this problem before when playing games. It was actually my video card fan but this could a related issue. My video card ended up being caked in dust. You should open your PC up and give it a good cleaning with compressed air.

#4 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

If it's the former (an AMD Cool N Quiet issue), is it safe to tinker with my BIOS? My PC's working fine otherwise (primarily I use it for working at home), so I don't want to mess with it just to play a stupid computer game unless I really know what I'm doing.

If it's the latter (dust), would that make a video card fan go into overdrive?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Tinkering in your bios could possibly cause problems if you are Leary about doing it just leave it alone. If its the latter (dust) this needs to be addressed and cleaned out before the computer overheats and damages something. Lastly yes dust could cause your video card to become hot and speed up the fan.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users