Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Run Root Repeal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

First of all, someone please let me know if I am overstepping the generosity of this forum. I have several posts going due to concerns with several computers. I really need help to make sure that all of these are clean, but I don't want to become a bother.

I have a Gateway MX8734 laptop running Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit), Intel 1.6 GHZ, 2 Gig RAM, one hard drive partitioned into 2 drives: C:140 GB and D:(recovery) 10 GB. I was running some routine diagnostics on all (3 total) of the computers on my LAN, and discovered that one of the machines is infected with a Rootkit. I am seeking assistance for that issue through the HJT forum (see post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic268405.html).

The issue for this post revolves around my concern that the issue with the other computer would have spread to the other computers on my LAN (can that happen?). This Gateway Laptop has tested clean running (ATF Cleaner was run first) SAS, MBAM, and Dr Web Cureit. My concern comes from the inability of this computer to run Root Repeal to get a log. The program will start, allow me to select options, and then begin the scan. Then, it freezes and will not finish.

I have noticed some strange things. Firefox does not display web pages properly, many times. Instead of getting a nice looking website (even here), I get the site, but it doesn't look right. The tabs are along the top (Home, Forums, Tutorials, Start Up, etc.), but under those I have a list on the left where "Bleepingcomputer.com, Rules, Welcome Guide, RSS, Help, etc. are a hyperlink and listed one on top of the other. I also have similar issues when accessing Yahoo Mail. Both sites work better and look right via IE8. (EDIT: I received an update from Firefox, cleared the cache, and reloaded. Both sites work as expected, now) I have accessed the forum via my blackberry in "Column View". Would this "save" as my preferred view, or is this a sign of a problem with this computer?

I have also had an issue with the Windows Security Alert shield. In my Sys tray, I will see this red shield with a white X through it. First of all, it doesn't look right. It kind of looks like to actual Windows shield, but not quite. It looks less "crisp". Maybe I'm just goofy.

Also, an alert will come up (often) telling me that my Comodo is off or not up to date. I will click on it, and it opens the Windows Security Center. I then click the button to update Comodo. Usually, the Comodo Defense will pop up to ask permission to run something. I think this is strange, as what should be running is the Comodo update (and Comodo should recognize it's own program), right?

I am sincerely grateful to all of you who volunteer your expertise to help those of us less fortunate. Any assistance with this issue is really appreciated.

Edited by bomber1712, 01 November 2009 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users