Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registered to: Number and Product Number

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

In System Properties I have a Registered to:####-OEM-######-#####
which doesn't match the number on the tag stuck to my case,(Proof of license,product key).
I don't understand. Just curious. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

What you see in Properties is the Product ID which is 20 characters (you seem to be missing a # up front).

The Product ID is generated when XP is installed from your 25 character Product Key - that is what you have on the sticker (hopefully). What you see in Properties is not generated until you do the installation. There is some method to the Microsoft madness, but I forget what it all is.

You cannot find your 25 character Product Key in the registry (prevents piracy), but it is on your sticker and you can use third party tools to reveal the 25 character Product Key - like the ever popular:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I have all that jellybean stuff on a piece of paper with all my original installation CDs and paperwork. You never know when you might need it.

You can view/change some other interesting Properties information in the registry here:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

I am not sure what would happen if you were to change the Product ID in the registry though - would you suddenly become invalid?!

People that buy second hand computers are most anxious to change the "RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization" part once they discover their new bargain system is registered to some guy they met last week at the flea market.

They should really do a total reinstall on a second hand system anyway but they never seem to have the installation CD or 25 character Product Key, so we'll fix it so it at least "looks" right and make them feel better :thumbsup: .

If you ever have dealing with Microsoft, I think they want the Product ID.

Edited by joseibarra, 01 November 2009 - 09:28 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the information. I have found my c/d and a long time ago I taped that number on the case. I also used a after market program to find it and made a copy again. Tucked it away just in case.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

I should have said "deters piracy" instead of "prevents piracy"...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users