Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Info Stolen, Accounts Hacked, Questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 infx13

infx13

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

I was here a couple months ago with some questions regarding a possible hack into my computer. I completed the steps someone here provided but during the time it took for someone to respond to my HJT log or possibly before I posted it, one of my email accounts and my World of Warcraft account was hacked and stolen and possible credit card info compromised though so far not used. I now have access to neither email nor WoW account but am in the process of recovering them. I believe they had unlimited access to my system during this time though I was assured my system was most likely clean by someone on here. I timed out on the HJT forum post and never had anyone look it over though now its irrelevant I suppose.

I have reformatted my harddrive using the recovery partition on my harddrive, reinstalled all windows updates and reinstalled all security apps. SASW, Mbam etc.

I have followed the steps given for scanning my drive for malware, including all safemode scans from the previous forum post just to be sure my system is now clean although before my accounts were hacked, these scans turned up nothing pretty much.

However, Is it possible that the hacker who was harassing me (changing wallpapers, duplicating and changing file names, stealing/hacking accounts etc) may have accessed the recovery partition on my harddrive and put malware/hacking tools/keyloggers into it so they reloaded when I did the recovery?

Basically I am asking, did I finally get rid of this hacker or do I need to order recovery disks from my manufacturer to be sure instead of using the partition area of my harddrive?

I believe he used Backtrack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BackTrack to hack my system in the first place, so maybe that is why conventional scans turned up nothing.

Thank you to any of the more experienced users who can answer some of these questions.

Edited by infx13, 01 November 2009 - 01:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users