Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I backup registry if I create a restore Point?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Muffalugagus

Muffalugagus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

I created a restore point in the "Backup & Restore Center" of Windows Vista. Should I backup the registry too or is this act incorporated into the restore point? Also I was thinking of making an image file of my computer since it has just been repaired by the manufacture and I just got it back to the way I like it, (all software, settings and customization). How large are the image files typically? (right now I am using 50 gigs, so I assume it won't fit on a DVD unless these image files are some sort of picture of the hard drive and are very reduced in size). If it won't fit I'll buy an external HDD and put the image on there, would this image file be bootable in the event of another crash? Like most computers bought today, I didn't get a copy of the windows cd/dvd, all I got was software to restore the computer back to it's original settings, so this is why I'm wondering if image files are boot-able.

Thanks for any information in advance,
I'd really like to not have to go through recovering all my files and customization again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Some suggestions for drive image backups.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...ing-program.htm

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

The following resources are backed up:

Registry
Files in the Windows File Protection (Dllcache) folder
Local user profile
COM+ and WMI Databases
IIS Metabase
Specific file types monitored [4]

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

Edited by boopme, 01 November 2009 - 10:40 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

hi,,,, just to give you a clue about space needed ,,,, i do a full mirror image of my C: drive every month,,, i do not do a rolling backup (where the newer files are added to an older backup),,, i just delete the old mirror image and do a fresh one,,,, at the last image the file was 70gb and this is off a 500gb hdd with 160ish GB used,,,, this will probably change a little with the program you use,,,, im using windows image backup on vista ultimate,,,, so i recon an external hdd would be better for your needs,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users