Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I Get it ALL? Or is more hiding?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Marcus-21

Marcus-21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

About a week ago, I got hit by malware (for the first time in 10 years -- I got careless after so long without problems). Symptoms included Malware Bytes Anti-Malware wouldn't run, autoruns wouldn't run, Online Armor shut down and wouldn't restart, etc. None of these would even run in safe mode. After using a variety of tools, I eventually got the computer up and running (apparently) normally again, and all the tools that would not run are now running again. Because this was a fairly serious infection (NOD32 v4.0 scans showed no infection during the incident, indicating that the malware had pretty effective ability to hide itself), I am now wondering if I got it all. The normal tools I use (NOD32, Online Armor, Ad-Aware, Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, & Spybot S&D) all indicate no further problems found, but some of them said that even in the middle of the problem, so I'm not totally reassured.

I'm running Windows XP Pro sp3 on a home-built computer, use Firefox 3.5.3 Online Armor firewall and NOD32 v4.0 AV. I will be happy to post whatever additional information you might need, but didn't want to bloat my initial post with information you might not need. Can somebody help me make sure that I got everything, and there is nothing 'lurking in the background'? I'm not enough of an expert in this field to be confident of my own ability. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users