Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re Uninstalling MS.NET

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

My apologies to all the members/visitors who have previously reported an inability to uninstall MS.NET...via Add/Remove Programs.

I replied from ignorance, based on my experiences with MS.NET uninstalls which I had perfomed in prior years...but those uninstalls were dated and not supplemented by any recent attempts to do so. So I have been asserting that users have misinterpreted the warning message that...used to be given when uninstalling earlier versions/editions of MS.NET.

But...things have changed :thumbsup:.

Today I decided to try it...and I was greeted with a message politely telling me that I would not be able to uninstall the various versions of MS.NET which were reflected in Add/Remove Programs. I was somewhat shocked, so I went down the list to the next MS.NET item in Add/Remove...same story.

I know Microsoft well enough to realize that I must be making the error, I can uninstall anything that appears in Add/Remove Program...so I changed my way of thinking. Instead of starting at the top of the list of items, I started at the bottom...with the most recent (3.5, SP1).It uninstalled properly and disappeared.

I then went up the list to the next most recent MS.NET install...it promptly uninstalled, where it had previously refused to do so.

And this continued until I had uninstalled the 3-5 items I had previously reflected in Add/Remove Programs as being part of the MS.NET Framework series (including SPs).

Once that was done, I simply downloaded installed the current MS.NET 3.5, SP1 package and installed it. Next step was to go to Windows Update for critical updates relating to MS.NET.

So, there is no need to use a program like Unlocker or Revo Uninstaller to remove this part of Windows...just a little inverted thinking :flowers:.

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users