Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernate resume SLOWER than cold boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mr coffee

mr coffee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

I have been hunting all over for some ideas about what is going on with my computer.

Hibernate has never worked right in the sense it doesn't save ANY time over shut-down and reboot.

It does:

Say it is preparing to hibernate, which takes a reasonable amount of time - about like my laptop.

The hibernating bar fills with the little blue boxes all the way.

And the computer cuts off just like it is supposed to.

When I turn it back on, it goes through the usual BIOS startup, and then it says it is Resuming from Hibernation, just like it is supposed to.

The white dotted line shows at the bottom of the black screen, just like it does for a regular boot-up, but then the solid line
actually takes LONGER to move across the screen than on a regular cold boot!

More on this part - each dot space filling in, starting with the first, takes LONGER than on a regular cold boot. Really slow.

And on a regular cold boot, after it gets about halfway across, it zips over filling in the second half of the bar really fast, and goes to the startup screen. BUT ON RESUME, the bar filling in continues the painfully slow, one-dot-at-a-time march all the way across the screen.

I'm convinced it is resuming from Hibernation, because, after the slow march across the bar, it goes straight to the desktop with all the icons in the notification area and their programs loaded, whereas on a cold boot, it takes a while to load the notification area programs one at a time. And the system runs fine, although there have been a few times when it would spontaneously reboot after it got to the desktop in the past.

Sleep mode works fine, and is very quick, both going to sleep and waking up. Works fine.

I just hate to waste the 'lectricity.

My system:

Windows XP Pro, SP3
Socket A Sempron, 2 gigs of RAM (maxed out) for this mobo
EPOX AMD mobo 8KRAI-PRO (same as 8VTAI), using VIA KT880 chipset
NVIDIA GeForce 2 PRO video card
Operating system on a RAID-0 pair of ATA/133 hard drives connected to a PCI RAID controller card (Silicon Image SIL-0680)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio card
SATA-connected additional data drive, with 4 partitions,
CD-writer, DVD reader
CD-DVD writer
1.44 Floppy (which lights up during boot-up even though it is empty)

I have a firewall and anti-virus, and have run scans with multiple anti-virus and anti-spyware, anti-rootkit software, all show up nothing. I'm pretty careful, and I really don't think this is an infection of any kind.

I know to, and do delete temp files, internet cache, and there's plenty of free room on the C: drive (boot and OS partition).

I've deleted the pagefile, hiberfile, turned hibernation off, rebooted, back on, etc. Nothing seems to fix it so far.

I think there is just something screwy about the resume from Hibernation process, but I can't figure out what it is doing all the time it is slowly going dot-by-dot across the screen.

The computer runs fine, and is quite quick, thanks to the RAID-0 and the drives 16Meg buffers.

Anyone got any idea what the deal is with the slow resume from Hibernation???

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. I'm baffled. :thumbsup:

mr coffee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Try reinstalling your video driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users