Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glnz

glnz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

I have a a Dell Optiplex 755 with WinXPPro SP3, 2GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, and it is unreliable for Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring.

When the PC is in sleep mode (S1 or S3), they work some of the time but not all of the time, and I'd like them to be 100% reliable.

These may be two different problems, but your advice will be appreciated. (Also, if I should post in a different forum, please advise.)

My Network Card is an Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection, and I recently upgraded its drivers using "generic" PROXP.exe from the Intel website although this has not helped the problem. When I'm on the computer, I don't feel or see a difference - the network and internet link seems to be working well, same as before. The specific driver file e1e5132.sys is now version 9.12.36.0 from 2008 -- it used to be version 9.8.20.0 from 2007. But, as I say, Wake on LAN from Sleep was not and is still not reliable, before and after the driver update.

In Settings .. Network Connections ... Local Area Connections ... Properties ... Configure ... Power Management, all the Wake on LAN options are checked ON:
- Wake on Directed Packet
- Wake on Magic Packet
- Wake on Magic Packet from Power Off Sate
- Wake on Link

The NIC card's Diagnostic checks are all OK.

My BIOS is version A14. I have a choice of S1 or S3 for Sleep, and the problems are the same regardless which one I choose.

My fax modem card is Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem, and I have recent drivers dated 7/27/07, version 7.67.0.50. In Settings ... Phone and Modem Options ... Modems ... Properties, "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" is checked ON.

What to do? If it's a BIOS problem, how can I fix?

Thanks.

EDIT: Please do not multiple post your question - MG

Edited by garmanma, 31 October 2009 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

This was also posted in the Network area and piqued my curiosity.

Has it ever worked as advertised? (ie reliable)

- Wake on Directed Packet
- Wake on Magic Packet
- Wake on Magic Packet from Power Off Sate
- Wake on Link

You have them all checked at the same time? OR You've checked each one and tested it?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 glnz

glnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

MG and Cavedweller: First, I posted in both Networks and Internal Hardware because the cause of the intermittent problem could be either. (Interesting that I have a similar intermittent problem with BOTH Wake on LAN (NIC card) and Wake on Ring (modem card).) If possible, please leave this post in both places.

Second, Cavedweller, the only time I need Wake on LAN is when I'm away from this PC and, from another computer, try to use LogMeInFree to access this PC. This PC will be in sleep/suspend/standby mode by then. Sometimes, LogMeInFree lets me wake this PC and sometimes this PC is just dead asleep and cannot be reached. I do NOT know why the response is erratic/intermittent. The source of the problem could be LogMeInFree, but I think not since I'm having similar problems on this PC with both WOL and WOR as indicated.

In the past, I had turned on only some of the "Wake on" options. Which one do you think responds to a signal from LogMeInFree? I'll try setting these four options so that only that one is on. But I have to know which one.

By the way, these are my screensaver and power management settings:

Screensaver: XP logo after 9 minutes; do NOT show welcome screen on resume.
Power Settings: Home/Office Desk; Turn Off Monitor after 10 mins; Turn Off Hard Disks Never; System Standby after 20 mins; System Hibernates Never; Do NOT prompt for password when computer resumes from standby.

Thanks.

Edited by glnz, 31 October 2009 - 12:56 PM.

#4 glnz

glnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

Still an issue for us. Any ideas?

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:22 AM

Just throwing some questions out there, hopefully they won't obfuscate the underlying problem, but might be worth looking into. I'm really only looking at WOL not WOR here.

Is the BIOS putting the PC to sleep (or anything set for a timeout), despite the sleep settings in XP?

Possible driver or system resource conflict? Anything suspicious in device manager, and is windows handling IRQ's automatically?
Try running msinfo32 from the run box, and check out the lists under hardware resources. Anything suspicious there?

Anything in the windows logs that might explain the issue?

Motherboard drivers up to date, if applicable?

Which programs have you tried for WOL other than LogMeInFree?

Also have you tried this:
http://www.profshutdown.com/wakeonlan_troubleshoot.aspx
(I haven't tried this program myself)

Is your internet connection shared through another PC or domain server?

Assuming you are using a router:

Are your router port forwarding settings ok?

Is the router possibly on selective access (eg Mon through Fri only)?

Is your PC ip address fixed or on dhcp?

Again sorry for the laundry list, just trying to get a fuller picture.

Edit: Here is a fairly detailed article on the subject of WOL, for your reading pleasure:
http://smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-h...an--wake-on-wan

Edited by jhsmurray, 29 December 2009 - 04:30 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users