Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resizing ntfs partitions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

On an XP computer I kept getting failed attempts to even start a resizing of existing partitions with Gparted Live as described in this guide

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/

Another program failed also

When I tried with Paragon Partition Manager 10.0 Personal, it warned me that it could only resize contiguous primary partitions or logical drives in an extended partition but not a primary partition and and logical drive.

I had to copy all data to another hard drive and use disk manager to delete the logical drive(data partiton) and create a primary partition before I could resize the system partition.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trapatony

trapatony

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

I'm also new in those things. Yesterday I bought a computer and i don't know to create a partition. Could someone help me please? I don't know what program should i use.

Edited by Andrew, 26 April 2010 - 09:06 AM.
Mod Edit: Removed Link To Commercial Site - AA

#3 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

PartedMagic. All the way.

I partitioned my 80GB hard drive with it, took about an hour to delete a 256MB partition resize a 70GB to a 30GB and create a 40GB partition, and there were no problems.

all the partitions were ext2 but I reformatted the 40GB into NTFS.

#4 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

I personally like a program called Partition Wizard Home edition . It's free and allows me to do everything that I can do with any paid program.

uByte

#5 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

EASEUS Partition Master 5.0.1 Home Edition

This one has a really simple interface. Drag the drive you want smaller, then drag the partition to add onto it, hit apply then reboot. And its free (home edition)

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#6 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

You can try PowerQuest PARTITION MAGIC, it's powerful. You can find a tutorial explaining how to resize a partition with PowerQuest PARTITION MAGIC here:

http://www.spotht.com/2010/03/how-to-resiz...powerquest.html

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

Partition Magic could be a problem - it is no longer available and does not run on Windows versions later than XP.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?t...=0&header=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 JEBwebs

JEBwebs

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

With the troubles experienced resizing partitions, have moved to employ a cleaner approach.
  • Make an image of the contents of each drive on the HDD and save them on a second HDD.
  • Record which image was associated with which partition. ie; OS Drv = C:, Data = D: and so on as they will be needed when you re-image the drives.
  • Flatten the drive by deleting each partitions and returning it to its original condition.
  • Recreate the drives and associated partitions in the sizes desired. DO NOT select the Quick Format option.
  • Re-Image the newly created drives from the stored images in step #1.
The mindset focused on when using this technique is one where files and folders are secondary. The entire digital content of the drive is considered as a single unified entity.

To be able to accomplish this you will need experience in creating and restoring drives images using third party system backup software such as Ghost, TruImage, etc. You will also need patience as you will go through several long periods of waiting for processes to complete. One such process is the verification pas made after the image is created. During this pass any problems with image are detected. The process should be viewed as an essential component.
JEBwebs

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users