Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Blue Screen problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jimworzala

jimworzala

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

I have a small problem when I go into Safe Mode or when a blue screen shows up on my computer. The text and icon's in Safe Mode are so large, that many of them do not fit on the screen. Also when a blue screen happens, some of the text on both sides of the screen are cut off. Is there a way to change this that will not affect how things appear in Normal Run Mode? Possibly a change in some BIOS setting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

Change the display resolution when you're in safe mode
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

Safe mode defaults to 800 x 600...which won't put anything off the screen. If your resolution slips to something other than that in safe mode...something is wrong with your video function.

As for normal mode, the suggestion by Garmanma to change your resolution...should take care of that. Higher numbers for resolution yield small onscreen characters.

Louis

#4 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Safe Mode Resolution was set to 800 x 600. I reset it, and restarted in safe mode again, and it went back to 800 x 600. Then I tried advanced settings, and reset the CPI to 72 instead of 96 (75% instead of normal). This made everything smaller in Safe mode, but also in normal mode. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

I'd be concerned about the video card/chip...because that is not the way it's supposed to work properly.

Your adjustment may only have a temporary effect.

Louis

#6 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

How is it supposed to work?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

I don't think I understand what you are saying...it's not the first time, won't be the last :thumbsup:.

800x600 is the default resolution for two things:

a. Safe mode

b. Video drivers are not installed in normal mode.

I don't see any reason anyone would want to change the first...and the proper way to adjust the second is to install the approrpriate video drivers. Most users spend a lot more time in normal mode than safe mode, thus it seems logical adjust for normal mode viewing.

IMO, BSODs default to the 800x600 resolution...as a way of bring the fact that there is an error...to the attention of the user...and because it is not using the installed video drivers (which it has no access to, at the moment).

Now that I've researched this DPI setting and other video settings...it appears that there is no reason why the CPI should not have been changed by you to suit your preference.

Happy viewing :flowers:.

Louis

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hopefully you would rather resolve your BSOD issue and the need to boot in Safe Mode in the first place and not live with it!

Can you say it always happens when you do certain things or is it random?

Disable Automatic restart on system error to stop the error on your screen so you can keep the BSOD on your screen:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings.

In the System failure section, untick the Automatically restart box, OK, OK.

Here are some BSOD blue screen of death examples showing information you need to provide:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/Windows_XP_BSOD.png
http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (3-4 lines total). Skip the boring text unless it looks important to you. We know what a BSOD looks like, we need to know the other information that is specific to yours BSOD.

Someday, I must learn to post screen shots here.

If you get a BSOD and can't see the info, leave the BSOD up and temporarily adjust the resolution using your monitor settings (buttons, knobs, etc.) so you can see the screen. Naturally, you would make a note of what you changed so you can change it back later - probably the horizontal and vertical settings, left, right, up, down, etc.

If you can only boot in some kind of Safe Mode, choose the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Have any hardware oriented changes been made to the system since it worked? RAM, video card, storage (hard disks, USB devices), hardware drivers?

If you want help fixing it, tell us more about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to
be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:23 AM

I have been working with someone in the malware removal forum on the underlying problem, but this is the 2nd time during the process that I got a BSOD and could not read all of the screen info. I mentioned this screen issue to the person I am working with, but he is probably more focused on the malware than a screen problem, and in the wait between his posts, I thought maybe I could get the video issue fixed as well.

No recent changes to the system, and I believe this is the first and so far only time that this particular BSOD showed up. The person I am working with (Syler) said this last BSOD was some kind of disk drive problem, and pointed me to this information. I have not really noted any disk drive problems. The one before that showed us which malware I was infected with according to Syler.

msinfo32 data:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A12, 8/26/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 71.57 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by jimworzala, 02 November 2009 - 07:44 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

If you have a malware issue that someone is trying to resolve...I suggest that you not take it on yourself to change/address any other issues on the system...until that person has completed her/his attempts to assist you.

Louis

#11 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

The malware issue appears to have been resolved, I thought there was a reinfection, but apparently not. Any more ideas on the video issue?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the video drivers...rebooting...and then reinstalling them or updated drivers for your system?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Go back to msinfo32...click on Components/Display and tell us what's on the first line of the right window.

Louis

#13 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

I believe that I had downloaded and installed the last update, it happened in 2004. Did not try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Display info:

Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_01B910DE&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.11.6921
INF File oem14.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1440 x 900 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.6921, 7.09 MB (7,435,392 bytes), 4/3/2007 9:14 AM)

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

The reason that I suggest uninstalling drivers, then reinstalling...is not concern about the date of the drivers.

IMO, a working driver is a good one, regardless of date.

The fact is that...it's almost impossible to identify when files (including drivers) are damaged...until they don't behave as they should.

Which, IMO, seems to be your situation.

In any case, the link for the driver that you would install if you thought that your current drivers might be damaged and not working properly...would be the one indicating nvidia 128MB at this link, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=.

Louis

#15 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

Don't want to butt in, but your video driver is 169,21 and there is a new version 175.19 here -

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users