Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Infinia 7160

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

I have a Toshiba here that a friend asked me about upgrading, . . .

I am not sure that is worth the work, any suggestions ?

System Type Desktop
CPU 133, 166, 200MHz Pentium
Standard Memory 16MB/32MB (removable)
Maximum Memory 128MB
Slots 4 (2 banks of 2)
Memory Speed 60ns
Notes Memory modules must be installed in p

Those are the general specs, . . the model I have here is containing 64MB or less it may be 40 something.

So I am just wondering, . . there isn't a firewall and I don't think there is any ant-virus protection, however I recall that I ran my PC for years on 128 MB, . .

so, I guess an upgrade may be worth the while, . . but what about the firewall and security ?

Edited by Jove, 31 October 2009 - 07:48 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

You might not find the memory for it
The only Windows OS you could upgrade to is Win 2000. It would die with XP
You might have to flash the BIOS for 2000
sounds like a good candidate for Ubuntu

Edited by garmanma, 31 October 2009 - 09:31 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

OK there seems to be enough Biz on line selling RAM, maybe I can run into something I would mee two 64 MB to get the most out of it, but it also seems, by the numbers I am seeing that as you said that may be hard to get, anyway I also am seeing compatible therefore it may be possible something else, (another brand may fit ??), I'll check Ubuntu Thanks.

With UBUNTU I will still need 128 MB RAM, are you saying I will get more performance with
UBUNTU over Windows or are you saying this is the place to look for the RAM ?

Edited by Jove, 31 October 2009 - 11:18 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

What about staying with W-98 ?
like for a spare PC, when I have to fix my other PC,
can I get Security ?

Should I post this in W-98 forum ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

I think I would give that system to a thrift store. If you're intent on keeping it, try installing Xubuntu.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

Minimum system requirements
You need 192 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 128 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time. To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk. Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.

If I want the PC for mail and to get connected to the forum and it is already running Windows 98, Why would I want Ubuntu when it now has 64MB and the Maximum Memory 128MB.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

From;
AVG 8.5 System Requirements for windows 98 or me?
Concerning Security

Why do we not support older operating systems with AVG 8.5?
Unfortunately the new scanning engine and on-access scanner, as well as the whole AVG technology cannot work on the old systems. These systems do not provide features and functionality that are necessary for proper detection and especially removal of malware. The systems are insecure and have not been maintained by the OS vendor for several years already. Therefore we cannot guarantee sufficient protection.
Solution
We suggest that you upgrade your OS and/or install the latest Service Pack to be able to use all the AVG features. We also recommend that you use Windows Update to keep your operating system up-to-date.

Please be informed that older versions of Windows operating systems (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows Me) are no longer supported. It is possible to install AVG 8.5 on the following OS's

avast! Home Edition -System Requirements
Please note: hardware configurations described below represent the minimum recommended system specification for that operating system.
For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 100MB of free hard disk space.

My first inquiry is;

I take it from this there is a relationship between the two products AVG and Avast, is that correct ? or is this an expressive form of the word, "avast" ?

Secondly, What up date are they referring to ? ;

We suggest that you upgrade your OS and/or install the latest Service Pack to be able to use all the AVG features.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

Avast and AVG are unrelated.
Xubuntu is a better and more stable OS than Windows 98 and there is no need for any antivirus.

Edited by RainbowSix, 31 October 2009 - 08:47 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users