Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer errors or bad sections

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 berniewoods

berniewoods

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:46 AM

i'm new to this trying to fix my computer. i have my defrag to run automaticly on vista premium but i found out it was not doing the scan. i tried to fix the problem with the chkdsk like i was told by the computer. it said i had to run chkdsk in elevated mode to work. i tried to run it in elevated mode but it said chkdsk could not run while volume in use and had me set the scan for start-up. well on start-up, the scan would not run either. i read some forum that told me to put chkdsk /f /r and sfc scannow but that didn't work either. :huh: i'm in iraq trying to fix this on my own so i don't have geek squad to take this to, do you have any suggestions for me. thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:50 AM

Hi Bernie

Welcome to BC.

I am assuming that you have the Firewall turned on and a good AntiVirus and AntiMalware running. If not, then get these immediately and check that your system is clean.

It sounds as though you entered the Checkdisk command ok, but just in case, click on Start/Run and type CMD, click OK. 

In the command box, type chkdsk(space)/f(space)/r and push ENTER. You will get the message you saw so type exit and push enter. Reboot and see what happens.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Try right clicking on the drive. Properties > Tools > Check disk for errors. Select both box`s. It will tell you the same thing, can not do it while volume is in use. Restart the computer. Just prior to Windows completely starting you should get the message that a check disk has been scheduled. Allow it to run to completion. This option eliminates the chance of mistyping the command.

Let us know if it works.

Edited by ThunderZ, 31 October 2009 - 04:54 AM.

#4 berniewoods

berniewoods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hi Bernie

Welcome to BC.

I am assuming that you have the Firewall turned on and a good AntiVirus and AntiMalware running. If not, then get these immediately and check that your system is clean.

It sounds as though you entered the Checkdisk command ok, but just in case, click on Start/Run and type CMD, click OK. 

In the command box, type chkdsk(space)/f(space)/r and push ENTER. You will get the message you saw so type exit and push enter. Reboot and see what happens.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

thanks for your help, i did that but still the computer won't do a dskchk

#5 berniewoods

berniewoods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

Try right clicking on the drive. Properties > Tools > Check disk for errors. Select both box`s. It will tell you the same thing, can not do it while volume is in use. Restart the computer. Just prior to Windows completely starting you should get the message that a check disk has been scheduled. Allow it to run to completion. This option eliminates the chance of mistyping the command.

Let us know if it works.

thanks for your help, i tried that but on the restart nothing happened

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

Have you scanned for viruses and malware.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:36 AM

Two possible fix`s suggested HERE.

One requires a regedit, tread carefully. The other requires a Vista CD, do`t know if you have on available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users