Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't connect printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheElite1

TheElite1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

The HP installation thing for installing my printer won't let me connect my printer because my computer's IP is on 192.168.7.0 while the printer is on 192.168.1.0. Both devices are connected to the same network, my computer is wired but the printer is wireless.

I have also noticed that other devices that I connect to my network wirelessly also have an IP of 192.168.1.__
I am using an HP Photosmart C7250 All-In-One printer

How can I get my printer connected to my computer?

Edited by TheElite1, 31 October 2009 - 01:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

If they are plugged into/connecting to the same router, which I am assuming is what you mean when you say they are on the same network, then you PC has a static IP address OR your wireless devices are connecting to a different router than yours is plugged into.

Of the 2, I am leaning towards the second. I say this because you aren't complaining of not surfing the net wired or wireless. I know of no home router that out of the box that gives the IP address 192.168.7.X, none ever in my experience.

So what is the make and model of the router?

Is your PC's IP address actually .7.0 or is it .7.XXX ? And how do you know this?

Same for your printer .1.0 or .1.XXX ?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

TheElite1,
Like Cave Dweller2 says, your setup IPs are a bit odd.
192.168.7.x and 192.168.1.x are NOT the same network. They're isolated.

Please run and post the information about the network you're on, like this
Start > RUN
type cmd
type ipconfig /all
post here the results if you wish.

then try to ping the printer's IP, post results here if you wish.

That'll make it clear what network you're really on.
Printer should be on the same subnet if you're talking of home-use. That makes it much simpler.
If your printer is really elswhere, more details here will be useful.

#4 TheElite1

TheElite1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:36 AM

My printer and my computer ARE connected to the same network which is why I find it weird that its having the problem.
My modem-router is a Westell 9100EM, the one I got from Verizon when I got FiOS installed.
And for clarification, my computer 's IP is 192.168.7.2 while my printer is 192.168.1.102 and I can connect to it by typing the IP into firefox. My computer is connected to my router through ethernet while the printer is connected wirelessly.

Screenshot of IP Config results

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

OK you keep saying they are connected to the same network. You have to understand there is a difference between connected to the same router and connected to the same network. 192.168.1.XXX is NOT on the same network as 192.168.7.XXX with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Not to give you a network lesson but anywhere you see 255 is your network where you see 0 that is for hosts(devices connected to that network). So looking at 192.168.1 <- is your network the 102 is your host. It is the same for the 192.168.7 <- Network and the 2 is the host. So do you see they are not on the same network?

Looking at the manual for the Westell 9100EM, this thing will do a ton of stuff. I am still reading to see if there is a way you can have those 2 networks coming out of that router.

As a test plug something else into the modem/router wired and renew the IP address(at a commond prompt type ipconfig /renew and see if you get the same network address(at command prompt type ipconfig /all, look for the Ethernet adapter connection).

If you don't, move the wire from the PC that has the 192.168.7.2 address to the port you plugged the other device in and to an ipconfig /renew on it and see if the address changes.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 TheElite1

TheElite1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ha, I wouldn't mind a networking lesson, if there's one thing I can't do with computers its networking :thumbsup: but I found and fixed the problem. I had completely forgot about a new VoIP adapter we had just got which I had connected from router -> VoIP -> Computer which I'm guessing is what caused the problem since it wasn't going directly from the router to the computer. I rewired it so my computer was directly connected to the router, did a renew, and everything works.

Thanks for the help Cave

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

Glad you solved it cause it had me baffled lol =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users