Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crash during Vista Service Pack 2 download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sharphome

sharphome

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

I have tried the usual stuff including the stuff at " BleepingComputer.com -> Tutorials -> Windows Vista Tutorials -> How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair". I need someone who knows how to do this on a Dell XPS 710 with Vista Ultimate (32 bit) and work through the command prompt screen as everything I have tried has not worked. I have the Vista DVD from MS (they sent it free because the crash happened during Sevice Pack 2 download and they said that has been happening to several people). I have tried the Startup Repair, the System Restore (the only restore point was the Service Pack 2), Windows Complete PC Restore (no snapshot to restore to) and I ran a system memory diagnostic (it was good) as well as a hardware diagnostic (all good there as well). I think the only way to restore it from the DVD is through the Command Prompt. I have the problem signature from the Startup Repair and the "string" line that the computer freezes at when trying to boot. I also received the message that "a recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from restarting" No kidding since the thing crashed when downloading Service Pack 2. Anybody got a solution. If not a reboot through the Command Prompt then a way to copy all my files to DVDs, then do a clean boot followed by reinstalling the files from the DVDs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:21 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode and uninstall SP2?

#3 sharphome

sharphome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

How do I get to boot in safe mode? F8 during the dell screen?

#4 sharphome

sharphome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

Okay got to safe mode screen, how would I go about uninstalling SP2?

#5 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, and then click Programs.
2. Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.
3. On the Uninstall an update page, click Service Pack for Microsoft‌ Windows (KB948465), and then click Uninstall.
4. Follow the instructions on your screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users