Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp no start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

first the particulars:

dell vostro 220
windows xp pro (i think, might be home)
intel pentium dual core

this is my daughters computer so i dont think she went in and tried to configure a bunch of stuff and as far as i know she only goes to the disney channel or webkins website. shes 8...

when you turn on the computer the first screen that comes up is on that reads this:

we apologize but windows failed to load properly blah blah blah...

safe mode
start in last known good configuration
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

start windows normally

regardless of which method i choose, the Microsoft Windows xp start up screen comes on and runs for (going on 10 minutes now) and goes no where fast...

prior to this it was giving me a black screen with the text:

CD-ROM Boot Priority

it stopped putting that screen up between the time i tried to turn on her computer for her and getting my laptop set up so i can type exactly what we were getting and now goes directly to the full page statement about how sorry they are that this isnt going right...

when i attempt the dell reset (f11) it puts the cd-rom boot priority screen up for about 3 seconds and then goes to the apology screen...

when i try safe mode, i get a screen full of:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32...

some of the lines are drivers, some are DRIVERS and one at the top (bottom of the first page?) says FONTS. there is also one that says:
WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

regardless of what i do, i get nowhere...

im not sure where my 'boot disk' might be for this computer. weve had it for about a year i think...

whos up to the task on THIS one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

I would check the BIOS boot options...it sounds to me as if the only boot option elected is to boot from CD-ROM...when it should be set to boot from the hard drive.

(I'm beginning to sound like a broken record when I say this...) You might want to change your CMOS battery, it can cause situation like you are experiencing. It's a less-than-$5 item, even if there's nothing wrong with the current battery.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Choose "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

okay an update...

no dice on the "last good configuration" try. all 10 times...

i got into the boot menu or boot mode and HDD (hard drive) was selected even though it HAD been trying to boot from the cd-rom...

i found the factory supplied boot disk...
i put it in...
i turned on the computer...

nothing...

i shut it off and then restarted it and went into the boot mode (F12)

i selected the cd-rom option for booting up and the disk started spinning. i picked R for repair an existing installation and after it examined some files and loaded some files i got the message at the bottom of the screen:

Examining 152587 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on BUS 0 on iastor...

it ran (some mechanical sound) for about 15-20 seconds and then it shut off (the drive?)...

15 minutes later it was still sitting there with that message...

so i shut it down (holding the power button) and restarted with boot mode (F12)...

i this time opted for new installation (or something like that) and again it ran a drive, looked at some files, loaded some files gave me the message:
Examining 152587 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on BUS 0 on iastor...

and again sat there for (well its now up to) 20 minutes doing nothing...

time for a couple of .38 spl slugs?

this is on a Dell VOSTRO with an Intel Pentium Dual Core and XPpro service pack 3

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE

i ran the diagnostics and found that i have an error code of 0142 which is the Drive Self Test failure with a code of 79...
i have a request in to dell for them to give me some support...

thanks to everyone on board here who pitch in to help the noobs try and figure this stuff out...

Edited by ltdave, 02 November 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE
i ran the diagnostics and found that i have an error code of 0142 which is the Drive Self Test failure with a code of 79...
i have a request in to dell for them to give me some support...

I just noticed this latest development: Pleased to see that you didn't waste a couple 38Spl's!

That is the best move you could have made: A good call on your part.
Good luck with Dell.
Thanks for letting us know.
Take care.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

okay, so since its been 13 months i thought i better let everyone know what the end result was...

Dell sent me a new hard drive for the computer. i put it in and all is good...

sorry for the long LONG delay...

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for letting us know of the successful outcome after an extended period of testing.

Take care and good luck.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users