Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty C:\ volume

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

Our Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium comes standard with a C and D volume. Vista puts anything I download/install in the C-volume. As a result C is almost full and D almost empty. Can I empty C by just changing the volume to D for Program Files, All Users-file etc.? Is there anything that should be kept on C?? In other words does it make any difference for the computer if its is in C or D, parts of the same internal HD??

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

You may want to check the documentation on your laptop. The D: drive is probably your restore partition. This contains an exact image of your C: drive the day you bought it.

The D is not intended for use by\for anything else.

#3 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hi ThunderZ,

Thanks for your quick response. I will check tomorrow since the Acer has already been shut down.

The D is not intended for use by\for anything else.

C and D are both 33.3 GB, so ....

Our Toshiba , also 80 GB, but XP, contains a lot more than there is on the Acer, and doesn't report the C-volume to be full, so I don't really understand it but will look for more info tomorrow.

Again thanks!!

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

C and D are both 33.3 GB, so ....

That is odd. Have never come across a configuration like that on an off the shelf PC of any type.

#5 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

Well that's what it is. C = 33.3 GB and has 495 MB available. D is 33.3 GB and has 29.6 GB available. That's the reason I was thinking of transferring files from C to D.

Windows file: 15.11 GB; All users: 11.1 GB; Program Files: 3.42 GB!!

In fact I would like to put all those files on D so if I d/i something it will be on C and there is enough space for that; I can transfer all of it to D later....... if still possible!!

Thanks!!

Edited by Falu, 30 October 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

If D is the factory restore partition then I can not say that placing other data on that partition will not break the restore ability. What has me confused is the allotted size on D: Normally when the system restore is placed on a partition then that partition is made just big enough to accommodate it + just a little more.

Will be curious when you start the Acer back up to see just what the content of D is.

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hi Falu.

I have an ACER Aspire 5720z with the same configuration which has always puzzled me too, so I have sent a request for info to Acer today. Should have an answer from the horse's mouth for you next week, LOL. (Just had a look at the Users Guide, and by default, backups are stored on the D: drive so that is probably why it is there.)

Regarding your Recovery partition, which will reinstall Windows to factory condition by pressing the right ALT key plus F10, this is on a hidden part of the drive, so you do not have to worry about it.

My thoughts at the moment are that you can transfer all your documents, pix, music etc to the D: drive with no problem to make more room on C:, but I would not try and do anything with installed programs. Using SequoiaView or WinDirStat will show you the size and location of all your folders and is handy to help you decide which to move - just stay clear of all System Files.

Will let you know what Acer say as soon as I hear.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 30 October 2009 - 07:32 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thank you Rowal5555. Am very curious myself.

Since you have established that a hidden partition contains the restore I am that much more curious as to why the partitioned drive.

#9 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

your best bet, is to just buy a cheap external hard drive, and move the docs/music/pics/vids there.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

A very quick reply from ACER - well done.

""Good Morning Rob,

The reason for the D: drive is for backing up your data if you do not have an external storage device. Because the C: Drive houses the Operating system the factory reset will only format the C: and not at all touch the D:, unless you specifically tell the e-Recovery to format the D:.

Best Regards,

Technical Support Department
Acer Computers Australia""

So, it appears you can 'backup' your C: data folders to D: and then delete the contents in C:.

This is quite an interesting concept as it means that you could specify D:Program Files as the destination when you install a new program and then, if Windows stuffs up and you have to do a recovery install, you would not have to reinstall all your installed programs as is normally the case.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Interesting. Never knew an OEM to do it in this manner.

I just hope it does not give End Users a false sense of security. While backing up your data to the D partition will protect it and help it to be recoverable in the event of system corruption.....It will not prevent the lose of data in the event of a mechanical hard drive failure.

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

Another query to Acer and the reply-

[Thank you for the prompt response, Lloyd.

So that means that if D:/Program Files is specified as the destination for new program installs, then if a factory recovery is necessary, you would not have to reinstall all your programmes as is normally the case?

The link to the original posts, would you mind commenting if I've got it wrong-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1479011

Thanks very much.
Cheers.]

[Good Afternoon Rob,

Precisely, any application program installed to the D: will not be erased.

Best Regards,

Technical Support Department
Acer Computers Australia]

So there we have it. Something to consider. And Thunderz is quite right of course, any hard drive can, and probably will, fail at some stage so backing up to an external USB drive is always wise. They are getting cheaper by the day and are a very good investment. I have 2 drives internally and 4 external myself.

Rob

Edited by rowal5555, 30 October 2009 - 08:33 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hi all

I don't want to seem negative but, if you have installed programs on the D: partition and you have to do a factory reset on the C: partition, wouldn't that wipe out the registry entries for the installed programs on the D: partition thereby nulifying the installs?

Or am I missing something?

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Or am I missing something?

Nope, do`t think your missing a thing. Not only would you run into the problem you stated, depending on the program(s) dependencies\interactions with the OS, you would probably run into .dll errors among others.

#15 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hi all, :huh:

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the responses. I ask a question, go to sleep, work all day see this thread and am surprised by the fact that so many people have responded. In fact I'm in the middle of preparing a three weeks holiday to the Netherlands, which means I have to travel 1000 km tomorrow morning. I will be back monday; hope for your understanding.

Anyway: thanks for all the responses, it's much appreciated!!

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users