Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD ROM Drive need replacing ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 neillyg

neillyg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:51 AM

Hi,

recently developed some problems with my SAMSUNG SD-608 DVD ROM on win 98

first noticed some data disks were taking a long time to read and some wouldn't auto start, install disks often never complete

audio has intermittent sound, 30 secs fine then a couple of secs silence and so on

dvds not working at all, can't even browse the files in explorer

have tried booting from windows diskette with cdrom enabled, can dir at dos prompt for data discs but not cds or dvds

my question : is there anymore troubleshooting I can do or is it time for a new drive ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:53 AM

Hello, it might pay you to run a lens cleaner through the drive. Sometimes a build up of dust can occur on the lens causing read failure. Also check the activity light, if it is rapidly flashing and the lens is skipping over the disk it could be a laser problem and if cleaning it doesn't work you might be up for a new one. Another thing that has happened to me is that the bearings in the spindle seized up and the disk wouldn't spin at a constant rate (mind you i had to take it apart to find that out.) By the way look for a lens cleaner with softbrushes or take the drive apart and manually clean the laser with a camera lens cleaner or a really soft piece of cloth so as not to scratch the lens with the dust. Good Luck!
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 neillyg

neillyg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:04 AM

thanks for the reply lucent,

I've just realised how cheap these things have become, a mate is lending me a spare drive to test and if it works i'm gonna upgrade it I reckon

cheers,

Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users