Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - Should I do a clean install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

Clean install is obviously better. The thing is that I have SOOO many programs that I have spent many many hours customizing. I will have to redownload many of these programs, which will results in days and days of downloading/installing/customizing. I also have tons of add-ons for Firefox.

Is there any way to make reinstalling every program easier? For example, for iTunes alone, I would have to save every playlist and my entire library. Would Windows Easy Transfer save my iTunes library, Firefox addons etc?

My HP PC came with a 15-month license Norton Anti-Virus but did not come with a disk. What about my video card and sound card drivers? How would I reinstall it? How about the other HP pre-installed programs?

I have about 137 total programs installed. Many are just updates/patches or codecs for other programs such as Photoshop/Norton Anti-Virus etc.

I am getting the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade from HP.

Edited by g0tvtec, 30 October 2009 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wabbit

wabbit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

Clean install is obviously better. The thing is that I have SOOO many programs that I have spent many many hours customizing. I will have to redownload many of these programs, which will results in days and days of downloading/installing/customizing. I also have tons of add-ons for Firefox.

Is there any way to make reinstalling every program easier? For example, for iTunes alone, I would have to save every playlist and my entire library. Would Windows Easy Transfer save my iTunes library, Firefox addons etc?

My HP PC came with a 15-month license Norton Anti-Virus but did not come with a disk. What about my video card and sound card drivers? How would I reinstall it? How about the other HP pre-installed programs?

I have about 137 total programs installed. Many are just updates/patches or codecs for other programs such as Photoshop/Norton Anti-Virus etc.

i just performed an in-place upgrade install from Vista Home Prenium 32-bit to Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit. The entire upgrade took about 1 1/2 hours. I prefer clean install myself, but as you say, it takes several hours or days to reinstall all your apps and transfer your documents, photos, etc. My spouse also uses this PC that I just upgraded, so I didn't want to spend a lot of time reinstalling everything.

I didn't use Windows easy transfer, but with everything you have, I would consider using it if you do clean install.

Whether you do a clean install or upgrade install, make an image of your hard drive with the Vista installation.

#3 Computing

Computing

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

In my opinion, I think it always best to perform a clean install over an upgrade if you can as you get the benefit of running the operating system at it best performance and also you can be cretin that your not carrying any bad programs, malware, Etc. over to the new version of Windows. It true a clean install can be time consuming until everything is set back up but it can also be time consuming dealing with problems that may occur by going the the upgrade over the clean install. Be sure to backup your data before performing either one just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Computing, 01 November 2009 - 01:32 AM.

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Hi g0tvtec,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The trial version of Norton AntiVirus that came with your PC is most likely located on one of the restore disks from HP. If you cannot locate the installer for Norton AntiVirus on one of the restore disks, please contact HP support for assistance in reinstalling the version of Norton AntiVirus that came with your computer.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users