Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

heavy resource use at startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image

My computer went slowly at startup today when I opened a lot of things at once. I have 1 gb of ram and 30gb free space, so I don't think that should be. It took 5 minutes to "warm up" and get going to were I can use it and now it is fast. How can I make it this fast as soon as windows starts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

I would suggest you add more RAM. 1 gig is a bit low for Win7. The slow start-up also suggests to many additional programs running at start-up besides those required by Windows. Trim down your start-up list and see if that does not help.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

Additionally, it may have just installed some updates, which makes my machine gosh-awful slow on reboot sometimes.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

thanks for the advice. I guess a gig of ram ain't what it used to be.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

I'm not saying that I disagree with ThunderZ, but I have a laptop that happily runs Windows 7 Ultimate with 1 gig of ram. I also have a junk box running Windows 7 ultimate with 778 Megs of mismatched ram. Both start up quickly. I think it would be a good idea to check and see what you have going on during start up and see if there are things that can be disabled. For instance, many people have Communicator set to start automatically when they boot their computer. That is not necessary because you can just start it manually when you actually want to use it. Other programs will also boot an application that checks for updates for things like Java, etc.

Also, if you do not wait for your system to fully boot while trying to start other applications, then it will drag because your system will use as many resources as it needs before freeing up resources for other applications.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Ok, I'll check it out and see what I can get rid of. My virus software was updating and I hadn't let it boot up fully before I opened 4 programs at once. Taking these factors in mind I am hoping it is a fluke but I'll check startup because I would like to avoid this either way.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:31 AM

Posted Image

It was the service for windows media streaming which I don't even use that was bogging me down. I disabled it and can use my computer again. Thanks!

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

I am having problems again. I disabled and deleted all the startups that I thought I didn't need. Still, it takes 3 minutes for the computer to go from booting the desktop to where it has everything in the background running and is usable. I have started to use the performance meter and have noticed that it idles around 80-90% of memory usage. But, in this picture, it's at 99% and that is three minutes after the desktop appears.

Posted Image

Here are my startup programs:

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AccelerometerSysTrayApplet = C:\Windows\system32\AccelerometerSt.exe
SynTPEnh = C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
ATIModeChange = Ati2mdxx.exe
Cpqset = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
PDF Complete = "C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe"
Microsoft Default Manager = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe" -resume
McAfeeUpdaterUI = "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\udaterui.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
ShStatEXE = "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
StartCCC = "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
GrooveMonitor = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
QlbCtrl.exe = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
SoundMAXPnP = C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
QuickTime Task = "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
SunJavaUpdateSched = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
acevents = "C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acevents.exe"
(Default) =
accrdsub = "C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\accrdsub.exe"
PTHOSTTR = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\PTHOSTTR.EXE /Start
CognizanceTS = rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\IAM\Bin\ASTSVCC.dll,RegisterModule
iTunesHelper = "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

Can anyone tell me if any of these are unnecessary or troublesome? I keep hitting that redline on the memory meter and the fan is really loud at first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users