Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Recovery. HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AshleaG.

AshleaG.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Ok, somehow I managed to delete a folder on my data drive, which had photos,videos, coursework etc. on, god knows how i did it, but yer now tryin to recover them, but having no success, i did download a file recovery thing, which did recover them but they wont open as i think they must be broken somehow or something.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated :D Please + Many Thanks!

Would love to have all the files back and working fine :huh:

xxxx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

hi,,,, try this free recovery program,,,,, its by piriform,, the well known software maker of auto runs (another very good program)
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

You say they won`t open. Do you mean the files or the folder that contains them.

How are you trying to open them?

#4 AshleaG.

AshleaG.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

When I recovered the files, some files came back fine, like a few photos, but most of the other photos you couldn't see them and the word documents etc. wouldnt open.

#5 AshleaG.

AshleaG.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

hi,,,, try this free recovery program,,,,, its by piriform,, the well known software maker of auto runs (another very good program)
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
good luck.

Thats the program that i recovered them from, but most of the files recovered wouldn't open as mentioned above.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

When I recovered the files, some files came back fine, like a few photos, but most of the other photos you couldn't see them and the word documents etc. wouldnt open.

If you right click on them and go to properties is the proper file association there by "opens with"?

#7 AshleaG.

AshleaG.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

If you right click on them and go to properties is the proper file association there by "opens with"?

yes but it still doesn't open the file, tried basically every photo viewing thing on my laptop, pictureviewer, media player etc etc
on pictureviewer is says "couldn't display because a suitable graphics importer could not be found"

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Do they have the proper extensions? .doc .jpeg .mpg

Sorry to say but it is starting to sound like recovery is not possible. At least in a do it yourself\free manner.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Does`t Vista have an undo delete option?

I guess you have emptied the recycle bin?

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

hi,,, i have seen a similar thing once when a backup would not reinstall and the files in the backup could not be viewed,,,,,, not the same but close,,,, i found that if i indexed the file i could recover the files inside,,, i clicked on the file to do a search within and it asked if i wanted to index the file first,,,,use search to find the file then use advanced search to look in it,,, then it will ask you if you want to index it,,,,,
could work,,, worth a try
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

AshleaG. If you are still trying. Ran across this one on another forum. May want to give it a try for the incomplete pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users