Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Extensions Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:01 AM

ok. a long time ago i downloaded Adblock. i think i ended up blocking things that i didnt want to block. i couldnt figure out how to UNBLOCK them. it was wiered and confusing. yahoo mail wouldnt load and i figured that i might of accidently blocked that too for some reason.

so i deleted the whole adblock thing. then yahoo mail and everything worked again. but since that day, the EXTENSIONS never worked! i click Tools > Extensions, and nothing happens.

i go to My computer > C: > programs > mozilla > Extensions.

and in that extensions folder is a folder called {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}

i guess somethings screwed up there for some reason.

so i try to delete firefox and install it again. i export my bookmarks, then i delete it from Add/Remove programs AND i remove it in the my computer > programs folder.

i already have the icon that says "Install Firefox 1.0.6" in a folder. (sometimes i dont delete those things. the icons that install the programs. its the icon with the open box and the cd)

now you would think that if i did a fresh install, then i would have to IMPORT the bookmarks...but they are already there. and so are all the themes i downloaded.

where the hell is this stuff coming from. how is it remembering this ???

does it automaticaly import the bookmarks when it installs? are the themes saved in another place? and i STILL have that folder called {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}

EDIT: long story short: i just wanna start over fresh. why wont it let me start over???

EDIT Again: the adblock was when i had firefox 1.0 (the OLDer one). it seems like these settings and stuff transfer over to the newer firefox (1.0.6) when i installed that one. i tried uninstal/reinstal a few times now.
Posted Image

Edited by Mr_Freeware, 03 August 2005 - 02:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

Mozilla stores a user's personal information such as bookmarks, home page setting, e-mail, address books, extensions, and preferences in a unique and separate file called a profile; this remains when you uninstall an old version and install a new one, so that your preferences are still there. For later versions of Windows,2000 or greater, the Profile is stored:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

You should delete the Profile if you really want to install a completely fresh version of FF.

More information on the Mozilla Profile is found here:

http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html

http://mozilla.gunnars.net/mozfaq_use.html...Mozilla_profile

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 03 August 2005 - 09:00 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

WOW! you helped me! you're a smart man.

:thumbsup:

at first it didnt work. i did exactly what you said.

..then i checked that link you posted and it said that the files were hidden. i made them "un-hidden" and did it again.

it worked ! :flowers:

i must of screwed up the extensions file when i deleted adblock through the mozilla folder. but now everythings back to normal. sometimes it feels good to start off new again with a clean slate. good job. thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users