Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random drives on my PC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

When I click on "My Computer," it shows the C, D(recovery drive), E(DVD drive), and J drives(Seagate external HDD). However, it also shows drives F, G, H, I, and I have no idea what these are for. When I click on them, it says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (F/G/H/I)." Now the only hardware I have connected to my USB are my external HDD, keyboard, and mouse.

How do I clean these invisible drives up so that Windows does not think they are existing drives?

Edited by g0tvtec, 30 October 2009 - 12:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

Do you have a smart media reader?

#3 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

I also have f and g drives listed.I use f for my mobile broadband usb modem and g is just a spare for say a flash drive.I wouldnt be bothered about these

#4 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Yea I have a 15-in-1 memory card reader. Could that be it? I do not have any memory cards plugged in though. I have not seen these random drives pop up in a while. It has been just the C/D/E/J for well over a month now. Just starting yesterday, I began seeing the other drives.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

hi,,, your card reader is connected to the mobo so the os has allocated those drive letters to it,,,, a bit like your disc drive is always allocated D: even without a disc in it :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Most likely they are the memory card reader. My card reader shows up as well and and it is normal to get the "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk" message when no media is present and you attempt to access them.

Not sure they waited until now to show up. Perhaps the drivers were never installed and just got pushed through with Windows updates. Or, you recently used\inserted one of the types of media supported by the reader.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users