Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surprising number of browser redirect topics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 jojothehobo

jojothehobo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hi
I just posted about my browsers being redirected to seemingly random sites. I can see that the staff here does a lot of work answering questions in detail and am impressed by the work. I looked through the first few pages to see if others had similar problems and if they were resolved. What I noticed is that there were six or seven similar posts in the first five pages and that the main response was a polite apology for the overload and a request for update. On other topics there was a mix of this stuff and multiple responses. This led me to wonder if this particular topic was either particularly trivial so the moderators were bored, particularly hard, like a cold solder joint in an electric circuit, or just statistically falling between cracks based on spacing of the posts. What seemed clear is that for the past few days most of the browser redirect problems weren't resolved so I thought I would raise this issue so these people wouldn't get an inferiority complex. Thanks for any attention given to this topic. As I said, I am amazed how much better the bleeping computer (aptly named) site is compared to almost any other I've visited.

all the best;
jojo :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hello,

Bleeping Computer deals with several hundred requests for assistance such as yours on a daily basis. As a result, our backlog is quite large as are other comparable sites that help others with malware issues. Although our HJT Team members work on hundreds of requests each day, they are all volunteers who work logs when they can and are able to do so. No one is paid by Bleeping Computer for their assistance to our members.

We do try to address the oldest topics first, but our malware removal staff is comprised of team members with various levels of skill and expertise to deal with thousands of malware variants, some more complex than others so it is often the skill level of the particular helper and sometimes the operating system that dictates which logs get selected first. Some infections are more complicated than others and require a higher skill level to remove. Without that skill level attempted removal could result in disastrous results. In other instances, the helper may not be familiar with the operating system that you are using, since they use another.

Those responses you saw apologizing for the delay and requesting fresh logs are made to the oldest topics. We need to see the latest information in order to provide accurate assistance, and we also need to know if the member still needs assistance. If the member doesn't respond, we assume the topic has been abandoned and close the topic. If the member contacts us via PM soon enough, we will reopen the topic and work to resolve their computer issues.

We do respond to every topic posted in the HiJack This forum, but it just may take quite a bit of time. At present, it can take up to two weeks. In the past it has been as long as a month or more. If we respond to a topic before we are ready to assist the member, the topic could very well get lost because it would vanish from the list of unanswered HiJack This topics.

Orange Blossom :(
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 jojothehobo

jojothehobo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for the reply Orange Blossum. I agree that you guys are really active and overloaded keeping track of all the topics. I don't think I would have the energy to do so. There are already about 5 pages of topics ahead of mine and I posted last night. Wow!
My real concern in writing was to check if the "browser redirects" was a really difficult problem to solve and if I might need to uninstall and reinstall my browser or worse. I suspect that, based on further searching of this site, that there are some things to try before going nuclear on my internet software.

all the best;
jojo :(

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

Yep, there's a lot of things to try. Many of the redirect problems posted here have been resolved. I see that your HiJack This topic has been picked up this morning.

Good luck with your log.